Run programs over internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Callaband

Cadet
I am sure this has been asked before. I have searched for this topic and haven't found a clear answer yet so I am sorry if this is a re-post.

What I have done so far is set up FreeNas 8 as a file backup system and file server. With the file server, I have installed a small program my employee's use for client account information (data base). Haven't fully tested it with multiple users, but so far so good. The program will runs fine over FreeNas (mapped drive).

Now, at this point I would like to be able to access this program from home. The only way I can think about doing is leaving a computer on in the office and Remote Desktop into it so I can access the program on FreeNas. Is there a way I can shut all computers off and run that program over the internet only using my computer at home and FreeNass 8 in the office? I guess it would be like using Hamachi to access the FreeNas network folders to run the software.

Any thoughts on this? If this has already been discussed, sorry....

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi Callaband,

You're right, this has been asked a lot before, but not really answered with specific details. The reason for that is because the answer can be complicated and has a lot of variables, such as firewalls at each end, forwarding ports on your router, figuring out ip addresses etc... No matter how clearly it gets explained, someone can't figure it out because something is slightly different on their setup.

Anyway, assuming all of that wasn't a problem, the next problem is mapping a CIFS/Windows shares remotely has it's own hurdles. If you're using Linux or Mac, it gets a little easier. It's not impossible, just a bit challenging if you're not experienced.

I've been planning to write a detailed tutorial and possibly make a set of videos explaining how to set this up. I was actually just going to try and dive into this again soon, but for now if you look at this question: http://protosd.blogspot.com/2011/12/protosds-unofficial-freenas-8-faq.html#q5.

Once I get something tested & working I'd be happy to post a tutorial and send you a PM here with a link if you haven't figured it out on your own from one of those other tutorials.

EDIT: Link posted below in post #5.

louisk

Patron
My suggestion would be:
1) make sure your work network is (very) well firewalled from the internet
2) setup a VPN to allow your employees to work remotely. You can access CIFS volumes over the VPN.

If you allow remote CIFS access w/o the above, bad things will happen and you'll end up unhappy.

Callaband

Cadet
Ahh. So the more I am reading, the more I find out why this topic is so interesting. There are ways of making it work depending of the path one wants to take. It doesn't sound like one path is that much "easier" than the next because they all have exceptions to the rules. I guess at this point its time to stop reading and start doing. Thanks for the information!

Status
Not open for further replies.