Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

RSYNC over 10gb link

Thanks
Hi,

I have a NAS to NAS 10gb link, currently trying to Backup these VM replicas from the one NAS to a different one using RSYNC.

While iperf returns 7.77 Gbits/sec, RSYNC fluctuates only at around 47.42MB/s.

Is there any resolution to this, asking as have seen several threads about RSYNC and 10gb connections with no resolution to them?

What could be an alternative to perform these backups at the fastest speed as possible?

Thanks!

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Thanks
Hi,

I have a NAS to NAS 10gb link, currently trying to Backup these VM replicas from the one NAS to a different one using RSYNC.

While iperf returns 7.77 Gbits/sec, RSYNC fluctuates only at around 47.42MB/s.

Is there any resolution to this, asking as have seen several threads about RSYNC and 10gb connections with no resolution to them?

What could be an alternative to perform these backups at the fastest speed as possible?

Thanks!
See if my suggestions in this post helpful:

https://www.ixsystems.com/community...rmissions-support-for-windows-datasets.43973/

Thanks
Thanks
In most cases the CPU is the bottleneck when using rsync over SSH.
Try a faster cipher or use another approach like tar+netcat.

Thanks
What's the full output of ifconfig (within code tags please)?
Here you go:

Code:
cxl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
    options=ec07bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,TSO6,LRO,VLAN_HWTSO,LINKSTATE,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
    ether 00:07:43:51:6c:70
    hwaddr 00:07:43:51:6c:70
    inet 192.168.50.10 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.50.255
    nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
    media: Ethernet 10Gbase-Twinax <full-duplex,rxpause,txpause>

Last edited:

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Thanks
Hi, thanks for the link.

My issue is not so much with permissions but rather performance, at the moment I get over 100MBps with my 1gbps connection.

Wanted to super charge it to 10gb but that is where it gets nowhere near even 1gbps :s
I understand. The title of that thread is misleading; the rsync script I posted there also contains code to improve its performance, which may help you get the most out of your 10G network; it certainly helps on mine. Caveat: you should see performance improvements, but nowhere near line rates.

Thanks
I understand. The title of that thread is misleading; the rsync script I posted there also contains code to improve its performance, which may help you get the most out of your 10G network; it certainly helps on mine. Caveat: you should see performance improvements, but nowhere near line rates.
Will give it a shot, another thing too is that there was a thread, will quote it here once I find it about running it as a process rather than via SSH and it does make a difference, mind you, not close to 5gbps but it peaks at 2gps, so at least get to double it I guess

Thanks
At the moment I am running RSYNC with 'times' and 'recursive' on via the FreeNAS UI, not using SSH as a test and the below as extra options.

Code:
-W --password-file=/path/to/file/rsync.pwd --log-file=/var/log/rsync_qnapnas3_to_freenas_veeam.log --exclude=.streams/ --exclude=.DS_Store --exclude=.AppleDB/ --exclude=.AppleDesktop/ --exclude=.AppleDouble/ --exclude=.digest/ --exclude=.@__thumb/ --exclude=@Recycle/ --exclude=@Recently-Snapshot/ --exclude=.@__qini/ --exclude=.@upload_cache/

By Doing this I hover at around 2.2gbps at best, with dips down to 0.5gbps, assume this happens when not moving large files.