SOLVED rsync doesn't work any more in 11.2-u7

Jasse Jansson

Explorer
I updated my backup server, a HP microserver gen 8, a few days ago.
This one fetches the data from my main server via rsync.
This have worked flawless for at least a year, but my backup bliss have come to an end with the latest update.
Updating the main server to u7 doesn't make it better.
I can see in both network and disk stats that both servers are working, but no new files shows up in windows explorer, checked on a couple of computers.
I can't find anything that has changed in the servers setups.
Is this a new samba "feature" or have I missed something big (probably).

D

dlavigne

Hard to tell without a debug. Please create a report at bugs.ixsystems.com and post the issue number here.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You should open a bug report for this. If rsync is broken, it is probably an unintended consequence of another change.

Jasse Jansson

Explorer
Backup server u7, main server u6 = don't work.
Reverted backup server to u6, main server still at u6 = still don't work.
Both servers at u7 = no luck.
I better file a bug report.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Still not working after reverting to U6 on both servers? Strange.

Jasse Jansson

Explorer
Still not working after reverting to U6 on both servers? Strange.
Yepp, I thought that too.
I have not only rebboted both servers, I have shut'em down (not at the same time) and restarted them by puching the physical button on the case.

The backup server has exported the share as "read only", but that has been that way for a couple years now and shouldn't matter anyway.

The issue number is NAS-104070

Jasse Jansson

Explorer
After fetching my offsite server (still on 11.1.U7) I tried again to let it rsync from the main server.
This worked fine, after removing all snapshots to make room for all the new files.
Huh...

Back to the backup server.
Disabled snapshots and scrub tasks, removed all snapshots from the backup server didn't help.
Added "--log-file=/mnt/tank/data/rsync-xfer.log" to the extra options field, from a hint given in the bug report, reveals that it was a permission problem.
I have no clue how the dataset got windows permissions instead of the usual unix permissions during the upgrade, but after some massaging I seem to have gotten things in working order.
Rsync is running now and the log file (and checking the filesystem from the shell) tells me I'm on the right track.

Jasse Jansson

Explorer
Yep, it was the permissions that were wrong.
Rsync finished a while ago witout a hitch.
Just writing it here so it will be searchable in the future.

How upgading the system can change the permissions from unix style to win/smb permissions on 1 out of 2 servers remains a mystery.