Rslsync Plugin removed in 11.3?

inman.turbo

Contributor
Has the resilio plugin been removed in freenas 11.3? If so why and any advice on what to do now? I have to have resilio or use a different nas b/c we (sadly) have a bad cae of vendor lockin, with it being install on several important rode warrior laptops out in the wild. I singlehandedly manage three micro-dc's and several nodes on my own that use it (on my own time for free for a nonprofit and education org). I have no time for coding up my own jails. I need to be able to easily replicate and duplicate everything I do.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

inman.turbo

Contributor

inman.turbo

Contributor
Last edited:

inman.turbo

Contributor
Up and running! the only minor sticking point is the blog post seems to leave out the fact that you need to create the user with UID 817 manually in freenas gui.

It may seem common sense, but I know a user was needed -- what I didn't know was whether creating a jail automatically creates a user on the system as jail owner, and whether some the commands, related to user creation, were meant to be run inside the jail or out of it. I guess It would be weird if creating a jail also created a user -- like docker or a vm creating a user on the system-- but I wasn't aware plugins made those types of changes to the system non-natively, outside of the jail.

8:31 PM

There's no official notice on why Resilio was discontinued, but it may be fallout from the change of jail systems from warden in 11.2 to iocage in 11.3, as warden was abandoned upstream and no longer maintained
Rslsync has been ported to FreeBSD, however, its become licence restricted, so no package will be forthcoming.

screenshot.430.png

Refer to https://www.freshports.org/net-p2p/rslsync/ for further details.

If you would like to build rslsync from the port, refer to https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/ports-using.html

FlangeMonkey

Contributor
Any news on why the plugin was removed? And do we know if anyone is working on a plugin for this?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

inman.turbo

Contributor
Any news on why the plugin was removed? And do we know if anyone is working on a plugin for this?
I recommend following the guide mentioned above. To set it up following the guide is fairly trivial. Resilio has become license restricted and it's not likely there will ever be another plugin. If you are not servicing any clients that have a paid Resilio account, and/or you have access to all of the clients, I recommend you go with one of the supported, official open source torrents. In my experience, one or more of them is likely to be superior anyway.

Forget the guide. Use the script in the Resources section Scripted Resilio Sync Installation to have rslsync installed in a jail. Alternatively, if you're a Docker fan, an rslsync image is available. See Docker Hub Resilio/Sync.

Darren David

Explorer
I just updated to TrueNAS 12.0 from FreeNAS 11.3 and I'm unable to upgrade the jail for this plugin. Seeing as that the plugin no longer exists, what's the upgrade path here? Is there a way to simply have iocage treat this as a regular jail moving forward so I can upgrade it to 12.0-RELEASE?

Alecmascot

Guru
I think the Scripted RslSync install is hard work
I did mine in a base jail and used Ports which seemed to make a reasonable fist of it.