rrdcached plugin: failed to connect

Silvan Burch

Explorer
I just upgraded my FreeNas system from 9.10.2U6 to 11.0 Then to 11.2. Everything went fine.
After shutting down after last upgrade is when I saw the errors mentioned in this thread: "rrdcached plugin: failed to connect". After reading through this thread - I checked the "System / System Dataset" And the "Reporting Database" was not checked. I checked it, clicked save... Then shutdown. Have not seen that error since. Just thought I would add my experience to the thread. Thanks All...

sadly that didn't do the trick in my case

dknm

Dabbler
This is the solution!
I missed this error as I rarely reboot, but ticking the options and 2 restarts later - it's now gone. Thanks!

fireheadman

Dabbler
so the preference is the uncheck it since we do want the reporting db in memory, but unchecking it to do so causes an error only seen on reboot. (hope I have that correct?)

...I too have this issue.
Wondering if there are any logs that would spew this error while the system is running for those of use that uncheck the setting? Or is it something that is only triggered at reboot from init/shutdown scripts trying to process a task?

I tried the check, save and then uncheck, save.... did another reboot and still get the errors:
1579417832847.png

The process is running after reboot:
1579419181983.png

and the setting is unchecked:
1579419204038.png

UPDATE: After a little more poking around, I believe this is just an out of sequence event on a reboot where rrdcached is not being shutdown gracefully or another service that rrdcached is dependent on is interfering with its shutdown process.... When the system is online/booted, the process is running without any errors. All my graphs/charts/reports are showing correct info. Maybe this will be corrected on a future update.

Last edited:

Stage5-F100

Dabbler
Just wanted to chime in my ++, I'm having this same issue.

The following error messages are displaying repeatedly on my console:

rrdcached plugin: Failed to connect to RRDCacheD at unix:/var/run/rrdcached.sock: Unable to connect to rrdcached: No such file or directory (status=2)

rrdcached plugin: rrdc_status_get failed: Unable to connect to rrdcached: No such file or directory (status=-4)

Details: Fresh 11.3 U1 install (today!) with default settings, fresh SSD (NiB 760 Pro), and here I am. Will report back if I can figure out any way to fix this. Hope this report helps.