SOLVED Roadmap & FreeNas-11.1-U8 ?

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Dear all,

I do follow the roadmap and was wondering because 11.1-U8 was on the road but never released ?

Greets & Best!

D

dlavigne

We don't have a date set for it yet as we're concentrating on FreeNAS 11.2-U5 and 11.3-BETA1.

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Ahh ok because the release date was scheduled for I think last week and now it is gone...GO for 11.3 !

Snow

Patron
Not sure why any one would want to stay on 11.1 now that 11.2 is out and stable. May I ask why you guys are keeping that train alive ?

Snow

Patron
Looks like most of 11.2 is going to be bug fixes any way probably a good plan.

D

dlavigne

Though we do recommend updating in stages (eg last 11.1 update to last 11.2 update to 11.3, when it's released). This makes sure all of the config bits, new fields, etc. get properly migrated.

We should know our BETA1 target date in the next few weeks as we're finishing up the last of the dev work and creating the testing plans.

D

dlavigne

Not sure why any one would want to stay on 11.1 now that 11.2 is out and stable. May I ask why you guys are keeping that train alive ?

The 11.1 train will be retired once 11.3 is released. Til then, it is important security fixes only as it is near the end of its lifecycle.

Snow

Patron
Looking forward to 11.3 Thanks for the info.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I like the old UI better. I know that there were functional reasons to change and improve things, but many of the new UI elements take up too much screen real-estate and require many more clicks to get the same result.

Snow

Patron
I like the old UI better. I know that there were functional reasons to change and improve things, but many of the new UI elements take up too much screen real-estate and require many more clicks to get the same result.

I fully agree with you, But one thing they did do is move every thing in to one area.
Witch I do like but other times it seems like it's been split up.
I have gotten used to the new UI But I am ruining 11.2U-4.1.
Only thing I have not moved over yet to the new UI Is SABnzbd, Still squaring away permission problems with Sickchill & Couchpotato does not want to use the Dir I keep giving it.

Last edited:

KrisBee

Wizard
11.2 Stable? It feels like it's been several months of user acceptance testing with loads of issues logged and "hox fix" release needed on two occasions. I just hope those test plans for 11.3 are rigorous and the 11.3 cycle is not more of the same.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
11.2 Stable? It feels like it's been several months of user acceptance testing with loads of issues logged and "hox fix" release needed on two occasions. I just hope those test plans for 11.3 are rigorous and the 11.3 cycle is not more of the same.
Historically, every release has been U3 or U4 before all the bugs were hammered out. That is one of the reasons I wait.

pschatz100

Guru
I am on 11.2U3 and it has been stable for me. I did not update to U4.1. I will consider U5 - we'll have to wait and see. I don't update unless there is a reason for it. If I were making a new build, I'd probably use U4.1.

Two of the reasons to upgrade to 11.2 would be that many bugs in the new user interface were addressed and the iocage implementation is better. The new user interface still needs work, but what is in there is better than previous versions.

joeschmuck

Old Man
As others have said, I prefer the old UI. Also my system is on a closed network and it's running flawlessly. I will likely skip 11.2 completely depending on how 11.3 turns out. You know the old adage, "don't fix it if it ain't broke". But I do play with the 11.2 stuff in a separate VM periodically.

pschatz100

Guru
As others have said, I prefer the old UI. Also my system is on a closed network and it's running flawlessly. I will likely skip 11.2 completely depending on how 11.3 turns out. You know the old adage, "don't fix it if it ain't broke". But I do play with the 11.2 stuff in a separate VM periodically.
I completely agree with you. I updated to 11.2 specifically for some fixes to the new UI and improvements to iocage. I look at the change log for each release, and it there isn't anything in there that matters to me, then I skip the update.

msbxa

Contributor
I do have both versions 11.1 U7 on production and 11.2 U4 on Test server. My problem upgrading 11.2 to production is because of unstable plugins and iocage specially when you starts to do some changes on both. Have problem to migrate Sabnzb and Sickbeard to iocage, so unless someone directs me to the one that’s works I’ll appreciate that.

Snow

Patron
I do have both versions 11.1 U7 on production and 11.2 U4 on Test server. My problem upgrading 11.2 to production is because of unstable plugins and iocage specially when you starts to do some changes on both. Have problem to migrate Sabnzb and Sickbeard to iocage, so unless someone directs me to the one that’s works I’ll appreciate that.
Give this a Try SickChill install

nick779

Contributor
Id love to upgrade to 11.2, but ive been fighting with iocage every time I attempt it. Every time I update the OS iocage breaks. Cant create/start/stop jails. It did let me fetch the 11.2 template though.