Risk of data mining, security, etc with encryption

markwill

Dabbler
Let's say data from a FreeNAS server is encrypted, both over the wire and at rest.

What real-world risks does one assume by using a public cloud service to backup that data (I am thinking of security, data mining, etc)?

Jessep

Patron
Encrypted at rest and encrypted over the wire may still end with unencrypted data in the cloud.

When you decrypt the pool for use (access a share) and you then copy that data anywhere, you are copying decrypted data. Think if you copy pool data to a USB drive. Is the file encrypted on the USB?

You would want to encrypt the FILE not the repository for storage in the cloud. Think Veeam encrypted backups that are then stored in the cloud. The backup file itself is encrypted wherever it sits. Or Azure Rights Management, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/information-protection/what-is-azure-rms.

Encrypted repository really only protects from having the device physically stolen.

markwill

Dabbler
Thank you, @Jessep. Just to make sure we're on the same page, I wasn't thinking about copying from a client to the cloud. Rather, I was considering an automated FreeNAS server-based process, backing up to the cloud.

In that scenario, my assumptions - possibly be incorrect from what you have said - is that data sent from FreeNAS to cloud storage is opaque to the cloud service i.e. it's basically just a bunch of bits and the cloud service can't interpret the contents.

Is this thinking flawed?

sretalla