Resilver restarts

TGVoid

Dabbler
Hi! I had a WD External 1 TB drive (the only drive in the pool) that had 360 uncorrectable sectors, and I upgraded my Windows PC's drive from a 1 TB to a 2 TB, and formatted the 1 TB to use in FreeNAS. I used the replace option, but after a few days of trying, it hasn't completed. It ends up reaching 80% and then starting from 0% later on. Is there any way to fix this?

Huib

Explorer
If you have one drive in a pool, you have no redundancy.
As far as I know freenas (zfs) will not copy a file (or resilver) if there are errors on a file if they cannot be recovered. Since there is no redundant information to recover the correct file I think there is no way this can be resolved.

I truly hope I'm wrong.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Your drive failed that data is gone and you can't replace the drive.

TGVoid

Dabbler
I don't care too much about small pieces of data since I have an offsite backup. Is it possible to just salvage the good data and remove the old drive?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I don't care too much about small pieces of data since I have an offsite backup. Is it possible to just salvage the good data and remove the old drive?
if you still have access to the data you can just create a new pool and copy the data over.

TGVoid

Dabbler
What I ended up doing was wiping the new drive and making a new volume named Vol3. I initially tried zfs send, but it ended prematurely since there were errors on the drive. I used this rsync command in the shell "rsync -av --log-file=/mnt/Vol2/rsync.log /mnt/Vol1 /mnt/Vol3" where Vol1 is the failing drive. It got through a lot of it, but it's been stuck on 1 file for over 30 minutes. The console says "rsync: read errors mapping "/mnt/Vol1/superlongdirectory....": Device not configured (6)" Is there another method that skips files with read errors?