Resilio Sync Really Slow over the WAN in FreeNAS Jail (Resolved)

greysave

Cadet
Hi,

I have an mini XL+ iXsystems NAS. I have Resilio sync installed in a jail and it is working and able to download. I am however, receiving very slow download speeds over the WAN. I am only able to download on average about 1MB/s over the WAN while I can achieve line speed of about 112MB/s over the LAN. Additionally I have other systems with Resilio Sync installed on them and I am able to download at an average over 10MB/s with the other laptops and desktops in my environment. Is there a setting that will help speed up traffic over the WAN?

My current configuration has the Jail I have a VNET setup. I have tried with the Berkely Packet Filter on and off with no avail. I have also tried turning off the VNET which also did not help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have thought about the network, specifically the router, however the other hosts on my network are not experiencing this problem. I have done the following troubleshooting steps on the network side of the house. Enabled uPNP, Manually configured a port map to the listening port on the Jailed Resilio Sync guest, added a firewall rule.

What version of rslsync is running in the jail?

I am only able to download on average about 1MB/s over the WAN
Yes, I do concur. It looks like 1 MB/s on average over the WAN is pretty much what you can expect with the FreeBSD client. If transfer speed is an issue for you, you might wish to consider some of the optimisation techniques suggested in the Sync article Download/Upload Speed Is Very Slow.

I am able to download at an average over 10MB/s with the other laptops and desktops in my environment
Why the higher transfer speed between other clients over the WAN? An educated guess would be that the sync clients have been optimised on popular platforms.

Last edited:

greysave

Cadet
Yes, I do concur. It looks like 1 MB/s on average over the WAN is pretty much what you can expect with the FreeBSD client. If transfer speed is an issue for you, you might wish to consider some of the optimisation techniques suggested in the Sync article Download/Upload Speed Is Very Slow.
Yes, I tried that. Those are basic steps that did not have any improvement. It looks like I need to switch to synching, however I noticed that selective sync is much more difficult in Syncthing. Thanks for the response.

Cheers!

greysave

Cadet
I was able to resolve this and get faster times then I was seeing with my Mac. In order to resolve this, I simply disabled the UDP protocol UTP in the advanced preferences of resilio sync. Once I did this and restarted I was able to connect TCP and have seen speeds up to around 20 MB/s double what I was seeing with the MAC. Make sure you leave utp2 and tcp though.
1599069766145.png

1599069804306.png

In order to resolve this, I simply disabled the UDP protocol UTP in the advanced preferences of resilio sync.
I haven't been able to reproduce your results. Did you make this change on rslsync on the client, FreeNAS or both? And that's definitely a WAN speed?

Last edited:
Curious... I'm unable to verify your results.

Default tunnel_protocols:

screenshot.526.png

Syncing performance of a 2.6 GB file (Ubuntu Desktop 20.04.1) across the WAN:

screenshot.528.png

Removing tunnel protocol utp and restarting rslsync service rslsync restart (after each change).

screenshot.530.png

Syncing performance is similar.

screenshot.529.png

Removing tunnel protocol inproc.

screenshot.531.png

Syncing performance is marginally improved

screenshot.533.png

Removing tunnel protocol relay

screenshot.535.png

Syncing halts.

screenshot.534.png

I noticed that you haven't got relay as a tunnel protocol. This would suggest that you've got a direct connection between rslsync on the FreeNAS and the Ubuntu server, which means that Sync's listening port must be open and forwarded on firewalls, NATs and routers between the servers, otherwise relay is a required protocol.

Last edited:

greysave

Cadet
Curious... I'm unable to verify your results.

Default tunnel_protocols:

View attachment 41302

Syncing performance of a 2.6 GB file (Ubuntu Desktop 20.04.1) across the WAN:

View attachment 41303

Removing tunnel protocol utp and restarting rslsync service rslsync restart (after each change).

View attachment 41304

Syncing performance is similar.

View attachment 41306

Removing tunnel protocol inproc.

View attachment 41308

Syncing performance is marginally improved

View attachment 41309

Removing tunnel protocol relay

View attachment 41311

Syncing halts.

View attachment 41312

I noticed that you haven't got relay as a tunnel protocol. This would suggest that you've got a direct connection between rslsync on the FreeNAS and the Ubuntu server, which means that Sync's listening port must be open and forwarded on firewalls, NATs and routers between the servers, otherwise relay is a required protocol.
I turned uPnP on my firewall. You could also port forward the listener port on the FreeNas if it is behind the firewall. Relay will always be slow no matter the technology as you will have a third party relay with many connections from other consumers.

Of course! That's what it is. Once I enabled automatic port sharing on the router for rslsync, I got a tenfold increase in sync speed.

screenshot.538.png

However, it's nowhere near the 20 MB/s you're seeing and that's whether or not I enable the UDP transport protocol. Still, I'm thrilled with the increase in sync speed across the WAN.