Reserving/leasing IP-Adresses like crazy

admin123

Cadet
Dear community,

this is my first post and I'm not a native english speaker/writer, so please excuse if I'm doing things wrong.
I've searched the forums and bug reports but could not find another instance of these issues.
I'm currently running:

OS Version:
FreeNAS-11.2-U6
(Build Date: Sep 17, 2019 0:16)

Processor:
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU J3160 @ 1.60GHz (4 cores)

Memory:
16 GiB

My Router is a FRITZ!Box at 192.168.0.1.
Currently there's just file sharing and 2 VM's running on FreeNas
When installing FreeNas it got its IP through DHCP.
Every added Jail/VM also got their IP's through DHCP except for one VM which was replacing a hardware server and had to have the same IP as the old server.
So far I'm extremely happy with FreeNas, especially ZFS and the handling of pools is simply amazing!

Enough back story; the problem:

freenas.png

Every couple of hours, might be around every 12 hours, i get an alert that a new client has connected to the network.
These are all unused connections. They don't even show the type of connection.
As you can see on the last client in this list, "Jango" it shows that the connection was over Wifi.
Usually all connections in this interface either show as being "LAN1/2/3 at XXX Mbit/s" or "WLAN" Only these weird connections from freenas don't show anything.
None of these IP's were ever assinged to or used by any of the VM's.
Every connection has a different MAC-adress.
The timing of these new connections also does not line up with new VM creations or reboots (who needs to reboot their FreeNas anyway?! Its just awesome!).

I'm not really sure where these are coming from or how to get rid of this behaviour.
I hope someone else has had the same problem and might be willing to help me out.

Thanks in advance!

fracai

Guru
Do you have the IPs reserved for FreeNAS and each jail? Or are they just dynamically assigned?
I'm not familiar with FritzBox, but my assumption here is that the IPs are handed out with 12, 24, maybe 48 hour expirations and at different times the jails and FreeNAS are renewing their DHCP lease, but being assigned new IPs instead of the same that they had.
Setting reservations might clear the connections alerts as they'd be known clients.

admin123

Cadet
Hey, thanks for your answer!
Sorry i think i forgot to mention that all IP's for the FreeNas frontend and all VM's stay the same.

So for instance, FreeNas is always available on 192.168.0.111, the VM's on 192.168.0.112 and 192.168.0.123 respectively.
These IP's never change. They're not static (so they are provided by DHCP) but the lease time is something like 10 days.

But you're right. Maybe turning DHCP off in FreeNas could help..

anmnz

Patron
Every connection has a different MAC-address
If the MAC addresses are different then you'd expect the DHCP server to hand out different IP addresses. So without being much of a networking expert, still the question I'd ask is, what on your network might be generating these MAC addresses. Do they resemble (have the same prefix as) any of the MAC addresses that are legitimately on your network? (FreeNAS server, jails, other devices...)

admin123

Cadet
All the "appering but not being used" ones start with 00:BD, the FreeNas Host and VM's have different Prefixes.