Rescue operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

godfader

Dabbler
Hi all, I need a little help. My FreeNAS just died. the board, a c2550d4i wont post. it powers for about 5 seconds and then it shuts down.
Tried to clear CMOS, removed the fans, nothing helped. Contacted the support, waiting for a reply.
Now, I'm looking for alternatives and I'm thinking on a Supermicro X10SL7-F-O and a I3-4130T for a replacement.
Does anyone know if i swap the USB boot drive and connect the HDDs I can recover my datastore? thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Hi all, I need a little help. My freenas just died. the board, a c2550d4i wont post. it powers for about 5 seconds and then it shuts down.
Tried to clear cmos, removed the fans, nothing helped. Contacted the support, waiting for a reply.
Now, im looking for alternatives and Im thinking on a supermicro X10SL7-F-O and a I3-4130T for a replacement.
Does anyone know if i swap the usb boot drive and connect the hdd´s i can recover my datastore? thanks
I don't like your proc choice, do some more research...
The pool or volume will be importable in it's entirety once your new
hardware is able to boot the OS.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
There are posts in here discussing this, but in a nutshell,
the "green friendly" procs are limited to slower speeds to
use less power and produce less heat. The problem is as
a slower worker, it works for a longer period before
returning to a state of idle. The faster proc you have, the
sooner it get to job done and returns to idle conditions.
With all modern Intel procs, idle speed is where the savings
come from. For the most part the green marketing bs is just
that. BS

Dice

Wizard

Dice

Wizard
On the other hand, have you tried a different PSU? (do that with the motherboard only - not including the drives etc on the first attempts)

godfader

Dabbler
No, I don´t have a spare. But it seems to be a bug with the board because after i try the first time, to try to power again I need to remove the power cable and connect again. If I don´t the power button wont work. on the IPMI of the board the voltage seems ok

Dice

Wizard
No, I don´t have a spare. But it seems to be a bug with the board because after i try the first time, to try to power again I need to remove the power cable and connect again. If I don´t the power button wont work. on the IPMI of the board the voltage seems ok
that sounds awfully familiar.
anyways, if the motherboard is toast and you have a config file backup there is no problems ahead.

godfader

Dabbler
I don´t have a backup. I have the boot disk only (2 usb disks) Can I not move the usb and boot from the new one? like a HDD?

Evi Vanoost

Explorer
Yes, you can just plug in the same hardware in another board and given it is semi-compatible (same ABI) it will work.

The only problem would be if your failing board/power supply toasted your drives as well. You won't know until you do plug them in though but then you'll need your backup (or understand the necessity of proper backup)

godfader

Dabbler
i know the necessity but stupid me forgot to make a recent one. But if i connect my usb boot disk on the new board (different model) it should work right?

CraigD

Patron
Im thinking on a supermicro X10SL7-F-O and a I3-4130T for a replacement.

I use and love this Supermicro board, no need to get a power saving chip, most CPUs idle at the same low wattage and draw more power when needed

can recover my datastore? thanks

Hope your drive are undamaged

Have Fun

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
i know the necessity but stupid me forgot to make a recent one. But if i connect my usb boot disk on the new board (different model) it should work right?
Chances are that it will work, the usb drive will need to be set up on the new board to boot first though.

Evi Vanoost

Explorer
I haven't had issues so far as long as the CPU is of similar architecture. You may have to reconfig the network or some other things.

Stux

MVP
There are posts in here discussing this, but in a nutshell,
the "green friendly" procs are limited to slower speeds to
use less power and produce less heat. The problem is as
a slower worker, it works for a longer period before
returning to a state of idle. The faster proc you have, the
sooner it get to job done and returns to idle conditions.
With all modern Intel procs, idle speed is where the savings
come from. For the most part the green marketing bs is just
that. BS

The one exception is in a thermally constrained environment. That should be the only reason to go with the gimped processor.

Ps: if you're looking for a new mobo/CPU, look into skylake.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
The one exception is in a thermally constrained environment. That should be the only reason to go with the gimped processor.
That started out politically correct... ROTFL

Dice

Wizard
I laughed so hard :D

Status
Not open for further replies.