Reporting/Dashboard Widgets are still extremely WIP I find.

ChaosBlades

Contributor
Seems Reporting is still very WIP. I made a list of my issues. I did just make this thread for the below line but once I started really playing with it I kind of kicked the hornet's nest.

CPU Usage on Dashboard and under Reporting is completely broken for me. On Dashboard, it just says 0% all the way across and in Reporting it is just a blank box that says "CPU".

On the Dashboard, for CPU temp the graph looks like it starts at 35C and goes to 100C. Which I find weird, it should scale or at least be adjustable. My CPU sits around 30-50C so the scale is way off and the line barely moves at all.

Load Averages starts at 0 and goes to 4 on the Dashboard. NetData only goes to 1 and the Dashboard does not state if this is load1, load5, or load15. When it should be displaying all three as it does in Reporting.

Memory Usage is reporting correctly but the graph on the dashboard just sits at 0 all the way across. In reporting the server knows my max memory (64GB) but the graph only goes up to 50GB when using 48GB of memory.

The bottom of the memory and swap graphs under reporting starts at -1GB. Yes, negative 1GB.

HDD temp on Dashboard can be misleading. It shows A HDD temp in a given pool. It isn't even an average of all HDDs in the pool. You have no way of knowing at a glace if you have a hot HDD in that pool unless it just happens to be the first HDD in the pool. Maybe have the HDD icon be green, yellow, or red to show the temperature at a glace. Otherwise, at a glance, you can't know if you have a hot HDD unless you click on each HDD. Also, the background color of the temp line above the temp scale is too close to the filled color making it hard to read. It also clips with the °C under the temp.

Viewing disks under reporting in a Grid only shows 2 columns with a big gap in between them on a 1440p screen.

Pulling the data in reporting causing the page to lock up for a bit. Changing from a grid to columns also does this. If selecting 20 items per page it takes several minutes before the page is usable. While the page is locked up I notice 1 thread on my i7-6800k @ 4.4Ghz is at 100% usage.

All reporting pages default to Grid and will not remember you selected columns. It also does not remember you changed the items per page

Dashboard time stamps are unnecessarily long. "Sat Apr 13 2019 09:32:50 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)" is just about the longest most unnecessary thing you could put under a graph thats length is only 10 min.

Dashboard CPU Usage, CPU Temp, Load Averages, and Memory Usage bottom sections have large amounts of unused space that could be made smaller for taller graphs.

Scrolling with a mouse across Dashboard graphs to get information on a specific time causes 100% usage on a CPU thread on the above-mentioned CPU.

I feel like all of this data should be just pulled straight from NetData since it is built in. Maybe even go as far as to pull the graph itself into the FreeNAS GUI. NetData is superior in every way to what has been implemented in the FreeNAS GUI. I have to give some tough love and just say maybe scrap all reporting in the FreeNAS GUI and tell people if they want reporting to just use NetData.

All my FreeNAS hardware is in the signature.

Edit: Whoops this should be in Bug Reporting Discussion. Can a mod assist, please?

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Please open a ticket on these issues at the bug tracker because I agree there are many problems with the new GUI which is the reason I have not switched to it.
https://jira.ixsystems.com/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=1&projectKey=NAS

It is partitularly bad if you have a lot of hard drives. I manage a server at work that has 124 spinning disks and two NVMe drives. The I tested the new GUI on that system and it was completely unusable with so many drives. The plan for iXsystems it to (at some point) use the new GUI on their TrueNAS product, so I would think they will want it to work better for large installations but the way it is now, I wouldn't have it.

Meyers

Patron
Yes the current reporting is generally unusable. For work I use Check_MK which gets most of what I need done. If I need reporting I just pop into NetData.

Snow

Patron
Ive been having this same problem remember that Chris Moore? you where helping me or try to help fix it.
seen since ver 11.2 I never did fix it I just gave up.
1557539407140.png

Last edited:

Dotty

Contributor
Im having the same issue on 11.2 U3
And I cant upgrade, it is a production env and I dont want to break it.
Any way to fix it, at least temporarily, until I can upgrade?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
When I was testing, I simply logged into the legacy UI to see the old reporting graphs. It should be at the address <server IP>/legacy
I know it is not a long-term fix, but it will give you some graphs that make sense. The long-term fix is to give a detailed error report to the bug tracking system telling them how the existing graph is broken so they can figure out how to fix it.

https://jira.ixsystems.com/projects/NAS

Dotty

Contributor
Yes, I went there and saw them. But the dashboard in 11.2. U3 is nice, and id rather have it there.
I wouldnt mind restarting the culprit module every night via crontab, but I dont know which one would be the one that bring that back to normal.
It was working fine when I create the pools, but after a while it shows N/A on every pool.
I tried restarting collectd, django, nginx but them temps never came back
Do you know which module or daemon could be the one that is failing?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
But the dashboard in 11.2. U3 is nice, and id rather have it there.
Have you looked at the output from the Netdata page?

1558585281051.png

Snow

Patron
Thats pretty much what I use is net data as the New UI is broken and it seems to also screw up the old as well if i restart and do not load the new ui it works fine. (the old UI that is) I also get Freezing in the new ui side menu buttons.

Dotty

Contributor
Wow , I didnt know that was there.
Three questions:
1- How do I add temperature for each Pool, and individual HDDs?
2- Do I have to go to Services from the main FreeNAS page every time or I can add a shortcut somewhere on the homepage?
3- Can I make this page the default after login?
Thanks!

Snow

Patron
You can set up a shortcut like plugin and jails. Not sure about the pools stuff both of mine show up on the main ui I have not looked in to it on net-data. Net-data or the Old Ui?

Last edited:

Dotty

Contributor
You can set up a sort cut like plugin and jails. Not sure about the pools stuff both of mine show up on the main ui I have not looked in to it on net-data. Net-data or the Old Ui?
I mean on the Net-data because the previous poster implied that I could see it there.
When I asked about setting a shortcut I mean "setting a shortcut for the Net-data UI on the main UI" (so I dont have to go to "Services" to access it or add a bookmark on my Internet Browser)

Snow

Patron
Wow , I didnt know that was there.
Three questions:
1- How do I add temperature for each Pool, and individual HDDs?

You can add them, Have to look at netdata's info@Netdata's github link. Use the setting tab on the top Right and would have to change it in the menus. If it does not have the option there you can add stuff to Netdata. I am not sure how to do this I've just been using the stock one.
2- Do I have to go to Services from the main FreeNAS page every time or I can add a shortcut somewhere on the homepage?

No you do not. You can save it just like a webpage, just save the link you get from inside of freenas.
3- Can I make this page the default after login?
Not sure what your asking here, if you can save it inside of freenas as the defualt Info page no I do not think you can.

Last edited:

tfran1990

Patron
How do you do this netdata stuff?

Snow

Patron
How to set up Net-data.
  • Go to Service's && Then Net-data & enable it there.
  • Make sure to click Start Automatically.
  • Then click the the tab to the right of it to open it in a browser.
    Net-Data.png
  • Save it as a link in your favorite browser.
Netdata.png

Last edited: