Replication from non FreeNAS

STREBLO

Patron
I've been trying to replicate to my FreeNAS box from a Linux desktop but keep getting different invalid property value errors.

Code:
zfs send -R vault@initial-replication-snapshot | ssh root@192.168.0.142 zfs recv -vu tank/backups/Archon/Replication/vault
receiving full stream of vault@initial-replication-snapshot into tank/backups/Archon/Replication/vault@initial-replication-snapshot
cannot receive acltype property on tank/backups/Archon/Replication: invalid property value
cannot receive relatime property on tank/backups/Archon/Replication: invalid property value
received 39.9KB stream in 2 seconds (20.0KB/sec)

I have repeatedly tried changing them to something else and no matter what I change them to I keep getting the errors. Is this a problem with FreeNAS or a problem with my property settings? Is there any way to replicate to a FreeNAS box properly from a Linux box?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Well this is not my expertise, but it looks to me like the ZFS version on the target and the source are incompatibly different. Which is not entirely unknown.

I did some research here on various search engines, and I was surprised to not find much information to resolve whether or not this is the case.

This, however, looked telling: http://list.zfsonlinux.org/pipermail/zfs-discuss/2016-February/024534.html
i.e., that you are probably screwed. ZoL does not appear to support everything the BSD kernel ZFS does. Apparently.

??
Again, not my expertise.

STREBLO

Patron
Yea, I saw that. I had assumed i just needed to disable the stuff BSD ddn't support. BSD doesnt support xattr=sa, acltype=posixacl and relatime=on. I changed them to what bsd supports, xattr=on, acltype=off and relatime=off but i still got property warnings...

danb35

Hall of Famer
I don't know how much help I can be on this, but I have a Linux machine (my Proxmox host) replicating to my FreeNAS box every 30 minutes without an issue. It reports that it's running kernel 4.4.6-1 and libzfs2 0.6.5-pve9.

STREBLO

Patron
I don't know how much help I can be on this, but I have a Linux machine (my Proxmox host) replicating to my FreeNAS box every 30 minutes without an issue. It reports that it's running kernel 4.4.6-1 and libzfs2 0.6.5-pve9.
Hmm, would you be able to post the output from 'zfs get all <pool>'?

danb35

Hall of Famer
OK, the copy/paste looked like crap, even in code tags. Here it is as an attachment.

Attachments

• zfsgetall.txt
    3.5 KB · Views: 283

STREBLO

Patron
OK, the copy/paste looked like crap, even in code tags. Here it is as an attachment.
Thanks! So your pool was made on linux right? Created on Proxmox, not brought from BSD?

STREBLO

Patron
If yours replicates fine then it shouldn't be a difference in properties on Linux, as my properties are the same as the ones you listed. Therefore it must be something else, related to FreeNAS possibly? I read that FreeNAS uses a special patched version of ZFS i'm not sure if that is accurate but I wonder if that has something to do with it.

STREBLO

Patron
Correct, that pool was made with proxmox. I don't know if it matters, but the script is replicating zvols, not datasets.
Ahh, I wonder if that's the difference.

STREBLO

Patron
Does anyone know if properties can be completely disabled? With oracle' version of ZFS you can do something like

Code:
zfs recv -o atime=off <pool>

I dont know if there's an OpenZFS property analogous to this. Or a way to not just set something off, but completely disable it.

STREBLO

Patron

STREBLO

Patron
You can create a pool with no features enabled, using the -d option.
For some reason it lets me replicate some datasets and not others from the same pool though so I don't think that's the problem.

STREBLO

Patron
Are there unexpired snapshots from before you changed the properties?
No, I deleted them.

I got it working now though by using non recursive send and turning off any flags unsupported.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Just something to think about.. the ZFS on linux seems to be heading on this path to diverge from 'OpenZFS' (aka the version of ZFS that FreeBSD and others use). Most notably they're trying to add encryption and such, but instead of writing it for the OpenZFS project, it's specific to Linux.

If this continues down this path, this could spell fragmentation of ZFS so you'll have "ZFS on linux" and "everyone else's ZFS". And the two will have compatibility issues.

STREBLO

Patron
Just something to think about.. the ZFS on linux seems to be heading on this path to diverge from 'OpenZFS' (aka the version of ZFS that FreeBSD and others use). Most notably they're trying to add encryption and such, but instead of writing it for the OpenZFS project, it's specific to Linux.

If this continues down this path, this could spell fragmentation of ZFS so you'll have "ZFS on linux" and "everyone else's ZFS". And the two will have compatibility issues.
I really hope that's not true. Do you have something to back that up? Are they not just using feature flags?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

STREBLO

Patron
They might be, but it does little to solve the underlying problem...
How so? If all of the projects support them in time there should be no compatibility issue. Even if they are exclusive, they can be disabled.