Replication from non FreeNAS

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
How so? If all of the projects support them in time there should be no compatibility issue. Even if they are exclusive, they can be disabled.
The problem is that that is a big "if".
As for disabling them, that works if you plan ahead and everything goes according to plan, which is often not the case.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I really hope that's not true. Do you have something to back that up? Are they not just using feature flags?

I'm not sure if their plan is to use feature flags or not. I didn't look at the code that closely. But since ZFS has been managed in an environment where OpenZFS creates the base code and then everyone implements their own version that is compatible, and now Linux is trying to create encryption and hope it goes upstream, and the fact that I've heard from the powers that be that the OpenZFS initiative won't take kindly to going from a bottom-up approach, I don't know how this is going to go. If Linux decides to create their own feature flags, they are truly diverging as far as I'm concerned because they will be the only OS with support for that feature flag. It wouldn't be much different from having an Oracle system running v29+ of ZFS. You have to use Oracle/Linux or simply not use the pool anymore.