Replication - clone pool to another server, replace cloned pool in original server

blakhawk

Cadet
Hello, I have been researching this for a while and still am not very clear.

What I have at the moment is two freenas servers running 11.2 U5 (Server A and Server B). Server A is my main server with plex, transmission and data sets, the pool (Nas1) is a mirrored stripe (6 x 3TB HDD), about 50% full.

I have aquired 2 x 8TB HDD and set up as a mirror on Server B, created a pool with the same name as Server A (Nas1).

What I want to do is clone (clone not meaning freenas terminology) the Nas1 pool from server A to server B. Once done I want to pull out the 2x8TB HDD from server B and attach to server A (removing the original 6 x 3TB HDD). Turn on server A and have everything working as it was with the original 6x3TB HDD.

I ran some test and created snapshots of single datasets and replicated to server B. Howerver when I try to do the entire pool Nas1 as a snapshot in the replication I get the error "Please move system dataset of remote side to another pool". Is there a tutorial on how to do this that covers the entire process?

Any help would be great, thanks

saikee

Explorer
I could be wrong but the message seems to suggest the replication needs to be done within the same computer.

There is a big difference in transfer speed between a dataset copied from pool to pool within the same computer and copied via the RS232 connection with a network card.

Most computer cases do not have a lot of hdd bays so you may end up passing the data through the network.