Replicating ZVOL fails at 99-100%

hutchers

Cadet
Hello,

I have two FreeNAS test boxes, in this case FNSAN1 and FNSAN2.

FNSAN1 There is approx. 500gb of data on a 5TB zvol.
FNSAN2 There is a single 1.5tb pool that pretty much empty.

I have set up a daily automatic snapshot on FNSAN1

There is a replication task configured on the source back to remote server FNSAN2

I should note that i'm aware of the difference in pool size between servers but I had expected that the replication will only transfer used (of which that seems to be the case).

The replication starts as scheduled and takes a 1.5-2 hours to get to an ALMOST complete state, i.e. at 99-100% i get an alert which tells me:

Replication iData1/lun1 -> 10.147.5.146:FNSAN2_iData1 failed: Failed: iData1/lun1 (auto-20190705.1200-7d)

I ran the following shell command:
Code:
root@FNSAN1[~]# cat /var/log/debug.log | grep "auto-20190705.1200-7d"
Jul  5 13:45:06 FNSAN1 /autorepl.py: [tools.autorepl:131] Sending zfs snapshot: /sbin/zfs send -V iData1/lun1@auto-20190705.1200-7d | /usr/local/bin/pigz | /usr/local/bin/pipewatcher $$ | /usr/local/bin/ssh -i /data/ssh/replication -o BatchMode=yes -o StrictHostKeyChecking=yes -o ConnectTimeout=7 -p 22 10.147.5.146 "/usr/bin/env pigz -d | /sbin/zfs receive -F -d 'FNSAN1_iData1' && echo Succeeded"
root@FNSAN1[~]#

Which to me looks positive - however in the Replication Tasks window the jobs shows as:

Failed: iData1/lun1 (auto-20190705.1200-7d)

I've done quite a bit of searching but not sure if i'm using the right commands to try debug this issue.

On the remote server underneath my empty pool I can now see the newly replicated lun, so something's working!

I tried removing all the snapshots and replication tasks within the GUI and set them up from scratch but the same issue occurred - seems to tick over nicely without issue then fail right at the last second.

Many thanks
Neil

Last edited:

hutchers

Cadet
After re-creating everything from scratch again:

Code:
Replication result: cannot receive refreservation property on FNAS2_iData1/lun1: size is greater than available space.
cannot mount 'FNAS2_iData1/lun1': Invalid argument

The data equates to 375gb compressed and i have 1.56tb on the remote server pool.

I've just replicated a much smaller test Dataset (included zvol), replicated fine - no errors.

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

Were you able to resolve this? The error indicates that ZFS does not think there is enough space.