SOLVED Replacing NICs - will interfaces/VLANs persist?

5mall5nail5

Dabbler
Hey all - I have a couple Broadcom 57810 10GbE NICs in my FreeNAS server and I am replacing them with Chelsio T520-CR.

I have iSCSI setup on two interfaces today but I'll be adding a total of 4 interfaces for 4 x 10 GbE MPIO. But, I was wondering, if I pull out two Broadcom 57810s and put in the two T520-CRs, will the interfaces and VLAN configuration in FreeNAS persist? I have the "management" (how I access the UI) on a 1GbE interface that is not changing, so I should be able to get back into the FreeNAS box, just wanted to know what to expect in terms of network reconfig. I plan to use the same PCIe slots.

Thanks!

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Nope. The NIC drivers and interface names will change.

5mall5nail5

Dabbler
So to close my own thread:

Replacing the NICs did incorporate a new driver as expected. Two things occurred that were unexpected. First, during boot, FreeNAS detected that my Chelsio T520-CRs did not have current firmware and updated them!? That's kind of wild. Second, the Chelsio interfaces were created but the Broadcom 57810s were NOT removed. So I had orphaned network config that resulted in me having to delete it. Python errored out several times while deleting each interface. Also... turns out, my Broadcom adapter did not have a dead port, there's an issue with the fiber or transceiver or switchport - Chelsio T520-CR behaved the same way which was the whole reason for swapping. Oh well - now have approved interfaces with offload/etc. and more 10 Gbps interfaces on ESXi hosts.