Replacing a 4-drive RAIDZ2 with a 6-drive RAIDZ2 but want to maintain file structure

justjosh

Dabbler
Hello,

I have outgrown my current 4-drive RAIDZ2 pool and have obtained a fresh set of 6-drives of larger capacity. The idea is to replace the old pool with the new pool but maintain all folder permissions and files. If this is too complicated, the files can be restored from backups but the priority is to maintain the existing folder permissions on all the parent directories (multiple SSH users have their own folders for SSHFS which would be a pain to set up again).

Since the drives are of different size and the pool config is different as well, I cannot replace each drive manually and resilver. Also, since RAIDZ2 does not support expansion, I cannot replace 4 drives and subsequently grow it to 6.

Assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

artlessknave

Wizard

justjosh

Dabbler
I have tried using the search but I have had zero success trying to figure out which keywords to use. Not sure what what I'm trying to do is called.

artlessknave

Wizard
hmm, ok, fair enough, It took me a bit to find anything applicable. the magic words were "freenas migrate to new pool"