Replacement boot drive slightly lower formatted size; do I have any options?

DocVadr

Cadet
I had 2 SuperDom 32GB drives for my boot pool and got notified one went bad. So I bought a replacement. The problem is, the new drive (ada1) has a slightly lower formatted capacity (29.5GiB vs 29.82GiB) than the old one (ada0).
1565915896982.png

So naturally, it won't let me replace the degraded drive in the pool since the new drive is smaller than the other drive in the pool.

So my question is do I have any options to make these two drives work together as a boot pool?

On detailed review, it looks like the new drive is a newer version of the superdom, model SSD-DM32MN vs SSD-DM032-PHI for the older drive, so I guess that's why the capacity is slightly different. I guess I assumed a 32 GB Superdom from the same manufacturer would have the same capacity.

Here's the pool status, if that's any help or at least confirmation that I'm doing the right thing:

pool: freenas-boot
state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices has been removed by the administrator.
Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a
degraded state.
action: Online the device using 'zpool online' or replace the device with
'zpool replace'.
scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 00:00:20 with 0 errors on Thu Aug 15 03:45:20 2019
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
freenas-boot DEGRADED 0 0 0
mirror-0 DEGRADED 0 0 0
ada0p2 ONLINE 0 0 0
853423070778353990 REMOVED 0 0 0 was /dev/ada1p2

errors: No known data errors

As always, much thanks to this great community for helping us noobz!

IQless

Contributor
Is there a reason you would not just backup your config and reinstall? That should create a mirrored boot pool that matches the smallest drive.
If you have encrypted pools, make sure you read up on backing up the keys and everything needed. If done wrong, this can/will bite you...

There are a lot of very smart people in this forum, some of them might have a better idea of how to solve this :)

danb35

Hall of Famer
There are a lot of very smart people in this forum, some of them might have a better idea of how to solve this
I don't know if I'd count as one of the "very smart people", but this is what I'd recommend.

DocVadr

Cadet
Didn't think of that, but should take care of the issue. Thanks, gents.