Replace a RAID-Z disk using Web Interface?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusan

Guru
What are you typing in the shell? You are doing something wrong as it is giving you the list of zpool commands. It's hard to give you exact instructions as you obscured your pool name in the screenshot. You need to replace pool_name with your real pool name.

Yes, I did put my pool_name in when I typed in zpool online pool_name/dev/ada1p2. The above photo shows what I then got on my screen.

Dusan

Guru
Then you are doing something wrong. For starters, there should be a space between pool_name and /dev/ada1p2. In your command above there is no space.

Ah! That was the mistake. I missed out the space. Putting it in takes me here :-

b47tvk.jpg

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I've been avoiding this thread on purpose, but deliberately obscuring your pool name is just wasting your time and anyone else's that wants to help. Notice how you've already been caught with one mistake? Do you think your pool name is the secret to everlasting life or something?

Keep in mind that we're all volunteers. Make us feel like we're wasting our time and we'll walk away leaving you to solve your own problems. It is, after all, your server. We won't lose sleep over your incessant use of blocking out characters and miss-steps that waste our time.

I'm terribly sorry that you feel like that cyberjock. I can assure you that it never was my intention to make anyone feel like that but, the simple error of missing a space would probably have happened regardless of whether I obscured my pool name or not. I have to write down what I see on the screen and then go to my server and type it in. I cannot copy/paste because of this and that's how I accidentally omitted the space. It could have happened to anyone.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
At least he wouldn't have had to first tell you that you typed something wrong, then had to correct you in a second post. If you have a serious problem that can get annoying REALLY fast. We've done 10 pages of troubleshooting commands and you can imagine every 3rd command requested has a response of "type it right dummy" gets old fast.

I know that you are all volunteers cyberjock and I really do appreciate that you give freely of your time to help people with their problems. However, I detect a double standard. You say that people like me make you 'feel like we're wasting our time and we'll walk away leaving you to solve your own problems' and yet you refer to people who make a simple typing mistake when writing in what is to them a foreign language as dummies. That does nothing for our feelings either. I apologise again if I have done anything to make you feel unwanted and I ask you to please be patient with me.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It's not a double standard, and let me clarify.

If I tell you to type various commands and you have errors, but provide an unadulterated output, at least I can point out your mistake. But when you stat blocking out words and other things it makes our work harder because we have to figure out if you had a typo or not, then ask you, then have you try to explain it, and it keeps going back and forth.

Check out this thread(start from the post I linked...) http://forums.freenas.org/threads/uncorrectable-parity-crc-error.14404/page-2#post-95390

I asked for output. His response.. "Nothing startling on smartctl for ada2.. ada4 is posted above from Wednesday." Sorry, you don't get to tell me what is or isn't important. Turns out, later on if you read to the end he was telling us he was doing SMART test, but none were performed. That's why giving watered down answers from how you see the world is useless. I don't care what person X thinks of the output. If we ask for it you either give it to us unadulterated or deal with your own problems. It's as simple as that. I literally spend almost 12 hours a day at least 5 days a week here and on IRC. I really do have better things I could(and should) be doing. And when people start telling me "nothing startling" that is their way of saying my input is pointless and I leave.

To be blunt(and this isn't directed at you) I didn't actually put data on my first FreeNAS server until I felt I could solve almost any problem on my own. For me, being a fast learner and intracate learner, I spent something in the ball-park of about 350 hours on it. There is no expectation of good service in IRC, forums, etc. And there shouldn't be unless people are going to pay for service, that's how it is. Then, lets be honest with ourselves and ask how many people will pay for services with a product named FreeNAS?

I've been around and seen and heard almost everything. Nothing said here generally blows my hair back. Most if it is asked every freakin' week despite us providing a search feature.

Edit: fixed some typos

OK, you feel your way and I mine. Let's leave it at that. I really do not want to get into a debate about it so I'm not going to say any more on the matter.

I searched the forums for answers specific to my problem before I posted it but I could not find anything that I could understand.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Guess I should clarify one sentence as I clearly didn't say what I meant to say...

I've been around and seen and heard almost everything. Nothing said here generally blows my hair back. Most if it is asked every freakin' week despite us providing a search feature.

By "here" I meant the forums in general. Not you, your posts, or your thread(s). We get so many people with:
1. Less than the minimum specs complaining about problems
2. People that had performance issues so that added tunables and made it worse and get mad about it and expect one-on-one service here.
3. People that bought nothing remotely resembling recommended hardware(or reused hardware from 10+ years ago)
4. Feature requests by people that think that the developer team is at their beckon call at all times.
5. People that expect one-on-one service because they don't want to spend time learning how to do things right.

There's plenty more, but that's just off the cuff.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Just so you know, I think what you were doing with the picture was kind of lame. But I don't think badly of you for it. I was trying to help you understand that you'll get better service(and faster resolution) if you just throw everything on the table. I respond to threads where people give me tons of info and let me figure out what is and isn't important. I love threads that give me tons of info(text attachments of commands or whatever) and let me start giving them answers right away!

Dusan

Guru
Please do yourself (and us) a favor and learn how to use the FreeNAS web shell -- it allows you to copy & paste commands and outputs (http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Shell). It's much better than (mis)typing commands and taking photos of your screen. Or even better, enable SSH (http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/SSH) and learn to use Putty (or any other ssh client).
Then we'll need output of these commands:
camcontrol devlist
gpart status
zpool status

OK, Dusan that I can do.

[root@freenas ~]# camcontrol devlist
<SAMSUNG HD204UI 1AQ10001> at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (ada0,pass0)
<SAMSUNG HD204UI 1AQ10001> at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (pass1,ada1)
<SAMSUNG HD204UI 1AQ10001> at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (ada2,pass2)
<SAMSUNG HD204UI 1AQ10001> at scbus3 target 0 lun 0 (ada3,pass3)
<Optiarc DVD RW AD-5260S 1.00> at scbus4 target 1 lun 0 (cd0,pass4)
<hp v165w 1100> at scbus7 target 0 lun 0 (da0,pass5)
[root@freenas ~]#

[root@freenas ~]# gpart status
Name Status Components
ada0p1 OK ada0
ada0p2 OK ada0
ada1p1 N/A ada1
ada2p1 OK ada2
ada2p2 OK ada2
ada3p1 OK ada3
ada3p2 OK ada3
da0s1 OK da0
da0s2 OK da0
da0s3 OK da0
da0s4 OK da0
da0s1a OK da0s1
[root@freenas ~]#

[root@freenas ~]# zpool status
pool: onestickshd
state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices could not be opened. Sufficient replicas exist for
the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.
action: Attach the missing device and online it using 'zpool online'.
see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-2Q
scan: resilvered 633M in 0h43m with 0 errors on Sat Jan 18 13:55:50 2014
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
onestickshd DEGRADED 0 0 0
raidz1-0 DEGRADED 0 0 0
ada0p2 ONLINE 0 0 0 block size: 512B configured, 4096B native
6851512186108138862 UNAVAIL 0 0 0 was /dev/ada1p2
gptid/c82e63a8-8bf9-11e1-a6f8-e4115bb18342 ONLINE 0 0 0 block size: 512B configured, 4096B native
gptid/c971c938-8bf9-11e1-a6f8-e4115bb18342 ONLINE 0 0 0 block size: 512B configured, 4096B native

errors: No known data errors
[root@freenas ~]#

Dusan

Guru
ada0 shows in your zpool status output without a GPTID. Did you do anything with that drive via command line?
Please also provide output of "glabel status".

GPTID?

No, I wouldn't know what to do via command line.

[root@freenas ~]# glabel status
Name Status Components
gptid/c82e63a8-8bf9-11e1-a6f8-e4115bb18342 N/A ada2p2
gptid/c971c938-8bf9-11e1-a6f8-e4115bb18342 N/A ada3p2
ufs/FreeNASs3 N/A da0s3
ufs/FreeNASs4 N/A da0s4
ufs/FreeNASs1a N/A da0s1a
[root@freenas ~]#

Dusan

Guru
Did you try the suggestion from the bug report -- to try the replacement in 9.2.1?

Yes, I did and it made no difference. This is what I reported in the bug report - 'Updated to FreeNAS-9.2.1-BETA-b9c6b76-x64 just before I got the message about 9.2.1-RELEASE. No change though when I try to Replace disk. It is showing as Removed and clicking Replace asks me for the Member Disk: but, there is no member disk number in the drop down menu.'

Dusan

Guru
There seems to be some problem with ada1. Are you able to wipe it (via GUI)?

Status
Not open for further replies.