Replace a RAID-Z disk using Web Interface?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My RAID-Z (FreeNAS-9.1.1-RELEASE-x64 (a752d35)) is made up of 4 x 2TB HDs but it is now showing as degraded because one of the disks seems to be failing. I have a spare 2TB HD to replace the dodgy disk but I can’t figure out how to go about this. I have searched the forum for an answer but everything that I have found involves using the terminal which is an alien world to me. Can replacing the drive not be done through the web interface? That’s about the only thing that I can handle. o_O

Thanks gpsguy. It seems straightforward enough although I am having a little problem. I've got up to the replace part but I have got the message that the disk is not formatted freebsd-zfs. Can I format the disk like this whilst it is in place or shall I have to extract it and do it with my computer?

Help! I keep getting a message about the 'devices have different sector alignment' or about being unable to format the drive. I don't understand. The replacement HD is exactly the same make and model as the one it's replacing. :confused:

Dusan

Guru
Help! I keep getting a message about the 'devices have different sector alignment' or about being unable to format the drive. I don't understand. The replacement HD is exactly the same make and model as the one it's replacing. :confused:
Please try to run these commands in the CLI before doing the replace (via GUI):
[PANEL]sysctl vfs.zfs.vdev.larger_ashift_minimal=0
sysctl vfs.zfs.vdev.larger_ashift_disable=1[/panel]

Please try to run these commands in the CLI before doing the replace (via GUI):
[PANEL]sysctl vfs.zfs.vdev.larger_ashift_minimal=0
sysctl vfs.zfs.vdev.larger_ashift_disable=1[/panel]
I've just tried that Dusan and I'm still getting the 'devices have different sector alignment' message. :(

I'm still stuck trying to replace the failed HD. :(

RAID Z is supposed to offer a small level of security in that one HD can fail and be replaced without losing data but, if replacing the failed HD can't be done then that level of security is taken away. Perhaps it would be worthwhile looking at this to ensure that the process of replacement can be made to be relatively trouble free and that the instructions in the user manual actually work.

Thanks Dusan. As you suggested I upgraded to 9.2.0 and now I have got the message 'Disk replacement initiated.' Hopefully that should be it sorted now. :) Have you any idea how long the process will take? There's no rush. I'm just curious.

O0ps! I spoke too soon. Now it won't accept my username and password! :(

OK I have replaced the drive but the volume is still showing an alert. The old HD is showing as 'Removed' and the new one as 'Offline.' I 'Detached' the replaced HD but I'm not sure how to get the new HD 'Online.' I have read the manual but I'm afraid that I cannot see how to do this.

Dusan

Guru
Can you please post output of "zpool status"? Please use CODE tags.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
ssh (or shell) into your FreeNAS, type "zpool status", copy and paste that into a forum message, but precede it with the word "code" in square brackets, and succeed it with "/code" in square brackets. Alternatively, you can put it in pastebin.com, and post the link here. If you go to pastebin.com, it should be self-explanatory.

Thanks. I can't copy paste as I don't know how to 'shell' from my computer but I have a monitor connected to my NAS so I did the next best thing and photographed the screen.
f1ir77.jpg

I'm afraid not Dusan. All I get are messages about 'cannot destroy snapshot' and 'unsupported version or feature.'

***Update***
Scrub the above. It turns out the I was mistyping my server name. Silly me!
What I see now is this :-
x2mkb4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.