Remote access

mpratt

Dabbler
Hello,

I am running a small home server with FreeNAS OS Version: FreeNAS-11.2-U4.1 (Build Date: May 10, 2019 21:33) on Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 cores) with Memory: 8 GiB. I also have a home router a NETGEAR Prosafe™ Gigabit 8 Port VPN Firewall FVS318G.

My server is up and running fine while I am working on it within my network. I can sign in with windows (using IP address) however I had a friend try to login remotely without success. He can get to the sign in page but then gets the response that the user name/password is incorrect. I followed along on three YouTube tutorials setting up various users, groups, pools and shares with no luck. I realize I am probably missing something very minor, but I think I have tried everything at least twice. Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

Heracles

Wizard
Hi,

Because the error message is about UID / Password, that is where you need to look... Is your friend trying to open the WebUI or to connect to a file sharing service ? If file sharing, which one ? AFP ? NFS ? SFTP ? WebDAV ? ...

We need more details to do more...

Good luck doing your debug,

Heracles

Wizard
Hi,

So my guess is that your router is configured wrong ans is serving SMB itself instead of forwarding to FreeNAS. As such, your friend is trying to authenticate to the router.

To confirm that, give him a valid user account in your router's file sharing service and see if he can connect with that one.

Good luck,

John Doe

Guru
is your friend trying to access via VPN?

port forwarding is working?

mpratt

Dabbler
I fear the netgear is a little more than i need. I will replace it later to see if this is the error point. Thanks for the input.