Redundancy necessary for special Metadata vdev?

ajgnet

Explorer
New to the forums, but not new to FreeNAS/TrueNAS. I've been running TrueNAS 12 and Fusion pools but had a few questions about it.

I can't figure out if I need to set up redundant mirrored disks for the speical Metadata vdev. If the Metadata vdev is lost with a single drive, will the data vdev still function? Can the Metadata vdev still be rebuilt?

Also, what is optimal sizing for a Metadata vdev? Trying to figure out if there is any benefit to using large SSDs for this purpose. My data vdev is around 128 TB.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
OK, so the first thing I notice is the warning when creating a new pool with a mirror for data and a stripe for metadata:
Metadata vdev must be the same type as the data vdevs. First data vdev is a mirror, new Metadata vdev is a stripe.

If I force it to ignore that, I can create the pool.

I then offline one of the disks in the stripe after putting a little data on the pool...

But the system throws an error indicating not enough replicas to offline the disk... so no option in the GUI... now for the CLI

Even the CLI will not offline a disk that's part of that metadata stripe VDEV.

My guess is you can't because that would kill the pool... so inferring from that... you certainly need to have redundancy in the metadata VDEV(s) if you want your pool to survive a disk failure.

Also, what is optimal sizing for a Metadata vdev? Trying to figure out if there is any benefit to using large SSDs for this purpose. My data vdev is around 128 TB.
I think the concept was that metadata could be expected to be 1G per TB, so for you 128GB could be enough. I'm certainly not prefessing to be the ultimate expert on that, having not run anything in production yet.

Yorick

Wizard
That’s exactly right. A special allocation vdev is part of the pool and subject to the same rules as any other mirror vdev that’s part of a pool. Lose the special allocation vdev and lose the pool.

A metadata-only L2ARC doesn’t have those limitations, it can be safely removed, and can be a single disk. It’s not persistent - yet.

ajgnet

Explorer
Thanks so much. So if I set up a sufficiently-sized L2ARC with all the default configuration, non-persistent metadata will be stored on the L2ARC as populated?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
non-persistent metadata will be stored on the L2ARC as populated?
You need to tell it to be metadata only ARC or it won't do that (at least I don't think so).
Have a look at these threads:

ajgnet

Explorer
Thanks, that's extremely helpful. If I understand it correctly, I can only have an L2ARC set as metadata only (secondarycache=metadata) or as a read-only cache for the data itself (secondarycache=all) which excludes storing a cache of the metadata in the L2ARC. Is there no way to do both simultaneously? Perhaps with 2 cache disks?

ajgnet

Explorer
Do I need to worry about
OK, so the first thing I notice is the warning when creating a new pool with a mirror for data and a stripe for metadata:
Metadata vdev must be the same type as the data vdevs. First data vdev is a mirror, new Metadata vdev is a stripe.

If I force it to ignore that, I can create the pool.
Do I need to worry about the new pool being of a different type? Particularly if using SSDs for the special metadata mirror vdev and platter disks in raidz2 for the data vdev? Example:
Code:
root@ubuntu20zfs:/tank# zpool status
  pool: tank
 state: ONLINE
  scan: none requested
config:

NAME                 STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        tank                 ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz2-0           ONLINE       0     0     0
            /root/data1.img  ONLINE       0     0     0
            /root/data2.img  ONLINE       0     0     0
            /root/data3.img  ONLINE       0     0     0