Realtime backup from Windows 10 to freeNAS

joeschmuck

Old Man
For a little while, it got big enough that they needed two floppy disks, remember that?
Nope, don't recall is running from two floppies but then again I am old and that was a long time ago. But I definitely recall Floppy disks, started with the 8" type, not on my own PC of course.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
But I definitely recall Floppy disks, started with the 8" type, not on my own PC of course.
The first computer I used was by way of an actual teletype and I don't recall the brand. No console. It actually printed everything on a continuous roll of paper. Not even perforated. I don't even know where the computer was because we connected to it over a phone modem. One of those with the audio coupler.
The second computer I ever used had a green screen and 8" floppy drives to store user data. The system data was stored internally. It was made by a company called MyCom if I recall correctly and the system unit was the size of a mini-fridge. Their logo looked like this (again, if I recall correctly) but I think they are out of business long ago:
1559927294158.png

It was the third kind of computer I used before I had one that anybody might recognize today. Around 1980 or '81 we got an Apple IIe, with a whopping 128k of RAM and TWO 5.25" floppy drives. That is what I learned Fortran 77 with.

Good times...

joeschmuck

Old Man
I have only had painful experiences with Ghost .
There was a time when Ghost sucked, in my opinion, and I was forced to use other options. I do not like dumbed down interfaces.

Philip Robar

Contributor
Has anyone tried the Asigra plugin yet? The folks at iXsystems sent out an email, I got it today, promoting it.
I links back to this page on the blog: https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/asigra-plugin/
Which I see was mentioned above. I was just curious if anyone had tried it yet?

Note that the "free" version only allows for 1 TB of local backup so the plug-in is really just a teaser demo.

Philip Robar

Contributor
Is that per device or total? Something about that read too good to be true...
As far as I can tell it's total local target space for all backups. This is what you see when you follow the registration link:

“As a FreeNAS user, your free usage offer includes 10 Physical Machines, 10 Virtual Machines, 10 SaaS Accounts (0365 Mailboxes, or OneDrive, or SharePoint, or Salesforce or Gsuite accounts), 10 VM Replication machines and 1 TB of local storage.”

cJZ

Dabbler
As far as I can tell it's total local target space for all backups. This is what you see when you follow the registration link:

“As a FreeNAS user, your free usage offer includes 10 Physical Machines, 10 Virtual Machines, 10 SaaS Accounts (0365 Mailboxes, or OneDrive, or SharePoint, or Salesforce or Gsuite accounts), 10 VM Replication machines and 1 TB of local storage.”
Okay, that's what I had thought, too. It's still not terrible, maybe in a home situation.