Real time data compression over iSCSI connection

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry if this is a newbie question, I want to deliver a operating system from iSCSI server to a thin client but I'm suffering with latency issues.
I'm wondering if would be possible to compress data in real time over the iSCSI and thin client connection.
If possible, what would be my benefits from it? Would it really helps with latency issues? I think that this service would be installed into the server side, but how?

(If isn't clear up to now, I'm not expert in this matter, just a guy trying to do something cool so, take it easy please.) :)

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I'm not sure if it's possible, but even if it were, thin client hardware is unlikely to be powerful enough to handle the compression/decompression needed to really reduce latency.

It may be interesting to see if there is a way to do it, but I don't think your use case will be satisfied by it.

You might start by thinking about a device that acts on the network layer at either end (I'm not sure if riverbed steelhead devices can act on iSCSI packets, but that would be something similar to what those do).

This article from 2012 seems to indicate it may be the case: https://www.computerworld.com/article/2493628/riverbed-granite-takes-iscsi-across-the-wan.html

Thank you so much for your reply sretalla!
A device that acts on the network layer at either end it's not possible in this project because the thin client end is in another network (home users).

These data, altough each user has his personal data has too much things in common, so I was wondering if a cache server would help, for example, Windows 10, 8.1, 7 common data are stored in cache server and only the user data has to be loaded everytime user logs in. Would it be possible?