RAM what and why

lostpilot

Dabbler
sretella was right system was set to media pool I set it to boot... wait set to system data set pool (I can learn)
moving Jail seems like a task for another day not that data is involved I can reload clam.

is a pool always a multiple or whole drive or can drives be divided?
or could you take 70tb of drive 8 drives and have 2 pools 1 encrypted and 1 not?

thanks again
Lost Pilot

pro lamer

Guru
a pool always a multiple of whole drive
Usually yes unless one uses some CLI trickery which can cause headaches. You seem to have many drives so I'd recommend you sticked to the defaults (being a multiple of drives).

Especially if you plan encryption.

2 pools 1 encrypted and 1 not
I can understand your question only halfway but encryption is pool wide so you can choose to encrypt 2 of the pools and the 3rd one not to - no problem.

On the other hand you can use client side encryption.

Sent from my phone

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Especially if you plan encryption.
...which you really shouldn't do unless you have a specific legal or regulatory need to, and thoroughly understand how that system works. We've seen lots of people lose data when the encryption system didn't work as they'd expected.

lostpilot

Dabbler
...which you really shouldn't do unless you have a specific legal or regulatory need to, and thoroughly understand how that system works. We've seen lots of people lose data when the encryption system didn't work as they'd expected.
I just want to understand what the os expects it is opposite every system I have used in that on all other system I can think of the pool is create partitioned (divided) /encrypted /formatted then mount this is not the same or several steps seem out of order to me and a data set is a great term in math and databases not so much here in my opinion as to losing data I have it backed up the new box is blank been wiped 4 times so far and can be again the moderator may not consider my questions build centric but they are wrong a build is 10% hardware 90% information in first a build and if my box with intel 3865u MB 16 gb ram 480ssd and 8 x Seagate exos 12tb drive cant do freenas or if I don't understand freenas. I need to know the build will continue just wont be with freenas. believe it or not my crazy questions are a direct response what I read about freenas. most people seem to say its good … but hardware requirements aren't worth it. and that's what I am here to find out what freenas need those requirements for? what makes it NEED them beyond company need to have a plausible Markup and thus far answers fall short. I could say fools on the net didn't get it but the reviews, and Proclamations of the absolute need for the such hardware were written by someone claiming to be a moderator HERE at some point.
so when I ask can it do something and how I am ask what the os needs and why so my expectations are in perfect alignment. As to the need for encryption we never know these days what is reading our data and its always good to understand security just incase.
I will continue to read and ask questions until either freenas is the perfect chose or I start over with something that has clearer answers.

Lost Pilot

lostpilot

Dabbler
Question of the day
One of the things I read about ZFS is that is hates small files and it does wow did it get slow ….
question is Define small 4k or less? 16k a gig? same article said don't download torrents to it...true?

possible solution anyone know of a rar plugin so they can be read like tar file and mounted
also can I mount a thumb drive and how without adding it to a pool

pro lamer

Guru
don't download torrents to it...true?
You can, but disable preallocation (in torrent client) or if you can't: use a temporary separate dataset to avoid fragmentation - there are more threads with more details on our forums.

It refers to all copy on write filesystems not only zfs.

Sent from my phone

pro lamer

Guru
One of the things I read about ZFS is that is hates small files and it does wow did it get slow ….
question is Define small 4k or less? 16k a gig?
I didn't know this. Can you elaborate more?

possible solution anyone know of a rar plugin so they can be read like tar file and mounted
Not me, maybe someone else will chime in

can I mount a thumb drive and how without adding it to a pool
An out of the box solution will not add the drive to any pool but will copy all the files to an existing pool. It's called "import disk" (manual chapter 8 IIRC - "storage"). Don't confuse with importing a volume/pool - it's much different.

Sent from my phone

pro lamer

Guru

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Your questions are a little too advanced for your understanding of things. You can ignore the memory requirement. If the performance is ok for your workflow then everything is good. 16GB is probably enough. Unused memory is wasted memory so zfs uses all unused memory for a read cache. More and more modern operating systems do this.

Small file operations are difficult because to write you must first find the block them seek to the offset and write your data. This is true for basically all filesystem. Small file operations which are smaller than a block are difficult.

Downloading torrents is perfectly fine and you will have no clue it's impacting anything. You won't even notice an increase in fragmentation. Fyi fragmentation doesn't matter.

I'll also as you don't want your system dateset on your boot device, you want it in your pool. Having your pool accessed doesn't impact much. Your boot device on the other hand can add more wear and tear. Also if your boot device fails you lose all the system dateset. There is also an auto backup config if you system dataset so that's another reason to have it in your pool.

Lastly a power outage will not corrupt your pool. That problem was specifically why cow filesystem were invented.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Lastly a power outage will not corrupt your pool.
Well, "should not". It's still possible for power to be lost at just the wrong time (e.g., just as the new uberblock is being written) and trash the pool, but far less likely than with most other filesystems.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Well, "should not". It's still possible for power to be lost at just the wrong time (e.g., just as the new uberblock is being written) and trash the pool, but far less likely than with most other filesystems.
pretty sure that's not true either. There are 4 copies of the uber block on each disk and it follows teh same COW rules as everything else.

danb35

Hall of Famer
You and I both know that it's happened--we've seen the reports of it here. Yes, ZFS is much more resistant than most other filesystems. No, it isn't immune.