RAM recommendations for Supermicro X10 LGA1150 motherboards

RAM recommendations for Supermicro X10 LGA1150 motherboards

cyberjock

Inactive Account
FYI: although not a socketed processor, evidently Broadwell-U supports 16 GiB SO-DIMMS, according to the internets.

Yeah, and Lenovo told me on the phone that they don't install spyware, adware, etc. when I bought a Laptop from them last October and wanted a damn recovery disk. You can make recovery disks with their software, but you can't make a recovery disk that you can later use to install to a "new" hard drive. Yep, still have to have the same hard drive in the laptop. If that ever fails, you MUST *buy* recovery media. This is where I won't write all the cusswords I could use to describe Lenovo, but you can just pretend that I said a bunch of really nasty crap about Lenovo right here.

Ever heard of Superfish?

If you didn't click that link, give it a read. That link is 48 hours old. Seems that Lenovo:

1. Lied about the fact that Superfish posed no thread, then reversed that comment later.
2. Said they would release a tool that would remove Superfish completely and permanently from a given machine. That was proven to be false.
3. Claimed the company stopped using the software in December, but it looks like they are still shipping machines with it!

So yeah, everything any employee says about Lenovo is a lie as far as I'm concerned. They were incompetent, useless, and untrained based on my experience with them on the phone. Frankly, I find it gratifying that Lenovo is getting an electrified metal dildo in their ass right now. They deserve f'in every inch of it.

What I want to see is them release a tool that would completely and permanently remove Superfish from a given machine.. even from the backup images that are stored in the "recovery" partition of the hard drive. Then i want them to offer recovery disks for free to those that were afflicted that do not have anything even close to Superfish on them. Anything less than that is a FAIL in my opinion, and they wholeheartedly deserve that failing grade if they don't do that in my opinion for the bullcrap they've done with this.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yeah, but you also know that they were never going to be able to make it magically disappear overnight. There were always going to be products that had been boxed, shipped, and not yet sold, which were going to continue to have those things preinstalled. Making comprehensive tools to remove crapware like Superfish from system images and reinstall images is not an overnight process either. It was probably stupid for them to say Superfish posed no threat, but, y'know, marketing and PR departments, and even engineering departments, it's a complicated thing in big companies to get everyone to make any sort of unified, intelligent response to an issue like this. Even many engineers have no clue about how SSL works and all the finer details.

I'm no fan of Lenovo but let's at least try to be vaguely fair. It's absolutely a train wreck for them and they then tried to downplay what is effectively a huge disaster. Their response is typical large corporation, and of course it isn't unified or well-managed because large corporate structures can't just magically integrate new realities overnight like a person can. Sad but true.

trionic

Explorer
Those folk in the UK who want Hynix memory can buy it from Scan. The modules you need will almost certainly be a special order and so won't be listed on the website. No, they're not cheap.

Z300M

Guru
Yeah, and Lenovo told me on the phone that they don't install spyware, adware, etc. when I bought a Laptop from them last October and wanted a damn recovery disk. You can make recovery disks with their software, but you can't make a recovery disk that you can later use to install to a "new" hard drive. Yep, still have to have the same hard drive in the laptop. If that ever fails, you MUST *buy* recovery media. This is where I won't write all the cusswords I could use to describe Lenovo, but you can just pretend that I said a bunch of really nasty crap about Lenovo right here.
What about if you cloned the original drive to a spare? Wouldn't that have the same Volume Serial Number as the original? Or do they use the actual Drive Serial Number?

When I wanted XP Pro media to upgrade the still-in-warranty used machine I had bought on eBay (the support person agreed with me that XP was an upgrade from Vista), they charged me only $50 -- significantly less than if I'd had to go out and buy a regular XP Pro package. So the recovery media for yours might not be outrageously expensive.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Despite being a meaningful discussion, the whole Lenovo story is a bit off topic for the Supermicro X10 RAM recommendations.;)

ron_swanson

Cadet
I bought my stuff before I had found your excellent guides so I bought kingston because they were cheap. Two 8gb modules in x10sl7-f working for me so far. KVR1333D3E9S/8G.
Not a recommendation, I'm just stating they work for me.

l0calh0st

Cadet
How come it's so hard to find an 16GB kit of a Supermicro recommended RAM for X10SLH-F? I can only find 8GB sticks that are sold separately - will it be okay to buy two 8GB sticks, or is it recommended to buy a kit so I get better reliability?

Z300M

Guru
How come it's so hard to find an 16GB kit of a Supermicro recommended RAM for X10SLH-F? I can only find 8GB sticks that are sold separately - will it be okay to buy two 8GB sticks, or is it recommended to buy a kit so I get better reliability?
I didn't look at every kind of RAM on Supermicro's list of approved modules for this board, but I didn't see any "kits" -- only individual modules. I bought pairs of identical individual modules for my board, and all is well.

Last edited:

Spearfoot

He of the long foot

l0calh0st

Cadet
Thanks for the quick replies. That one Spearfoot linked looks really good. Hopefully I can get it to Sweden, or perhaps find some other store who will. Atleast now I know what memory I should get :)

l0calh0st

Cadet

Z300M

Guru

Spearfoot

He of the long foot

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
CT102472BD160B is 1.35V.
CT102472BA160B is 1.5V.

INCSlayer

Contributor

Thinkcat

Dabbler
My vendor has M391B1G73QH0-CK000 in stock. I assume it is Samsung. How is that different from the recommended -YK0?

Seems like -CK0 is 1.5 V and -YK0 is 1.35 V.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Thinkcat

Dabbler
Is there a big difference in power consumption between 1.5 V and 1.35 V modules? Let's assume I want two 8 GB modules.