RAIDZ expansion, it's happening ... someday!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Now that the standard is 4TB drives with scaling prices to 8TB, and you can get 20TB monsters , I don't care anymore and I am actually scared of a feature like this just like I am not really feeling that comfortable going beyond 8TB drives. Maybe 12 TB with RAID-Z3 (Z2 still feasible with SAS 10^16 URE rate)? Just maybe. I would bet the time to complete a rebuild with just 4TB drives is starting to be insane?
We are using 6, 10 and 12 TB drives at work, in different servers, and having no problems. With good hardware and proper vdev sizing, rebuild times are less than 24 hours.

djjaeger82

Dabbler
We are using 6, 10 and 12 TB drives at work, in different servers, and having no problems. With good hardware and proper vdev sizing, rebuild times are less than 24 hours.

I'm assuming you're talking about regular rebuilds, or has there been progress on the expansion feature as of late? (crosses fingers... )

zizzithefox

Dabbler

I think you misunderstood the entire topic: not talking about resilvering, but about the experimental features concerning vdev expansion which I hope you are not using. Still, if you are doing raid-z2 with more than 6x12TB vdev and consumer drives (like 10^14 ure rated drives), you are a dangerous man.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I'm assuming you're talking about regular rebuilds, or has there been progress on the expansion feature as of late? (crosses fingers... )
Regular rebuilds. We are well behind the latest software build ... Stability is the goal. I have over 250TB of data in just one of the systems I manage for work. I don't want to risk that (and my job) to get a new feature.

I think you misunderstood the entire topic
Sorry, I did miss part of the conversation.
Still, if you are doing raid-z2 with more than 6x12TB vdev and consumer drives (like 10^14 ure rated drives), you are a dangerous man.
The drives at work are the expensive datacenter models from Seagate or Western Digital. I configure the RAIDz2 vdevs with either 6 or 8 drives depending on the hardware.
I use different hardware at work than my home system (in my signature) because the organization I work for has access to funds that I don't, so I cheap out on drives at home. Still, I went over a year without having to change a drive at home and my home NAS rebuilds a drive in about six hours, so I don't feel like I am being very dangerous. It is all about selecting the right drive, which can be tricky...

ornias

Wizard
Matt has time "later in the week" to take a look.
I think you understand now why I always am very vocal: "next month" or "somewhere next week", from the ZFS maintainers is actually closer to "We hope to get to it this year"

Anyhow ontopic:
I think this feature is delayed due to draid being almost done.
In theory draid is going to be the successor of raidz in a lot of cases, so I think they are not going to actually implement it for raidz and just focus on draid for now.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
DRAID was stuck in "nobody actually wants to push this"-land for a few years, but someone picked it up again, now. I seem to recall it was in a state of "it's mostly ready, but stuck in this old branch and won't apply cleanly to the master branch" when it fizzled out a few years ago.

joeschmuck

Old Man
@Tigersharke thanks for posting. It is a very interesting topic and I was following a lot of what was being said but it would have been better to be there and actually talk to the developers to be a better understanding on how it all works. Broad terms are great for intro but I thrive on the details. DRAID will be very nice making a huge impact on resilvering speeds if/when it comes to town.

ornias

Wizard
DRAID was stuck in "nobody actually wants to push this"-land for a few years, but someone picked it up again, now. I seem to recall it was in a state of "it's mostly ready, but stuck in this old branch and won't apply cleanly to the master branch" when it fizzled out a few years ago.
It almost made it into OpenZFS2.0, Behlendorf (one of the maintainers) took it over some months back and made it his personal pet-project :)

The reason it didn't make it was mostly due to review taking a lot of time (due to the scope of it) and getting it back into running order after every round of review (which awkwardly enough, is often the most time consuming part of review and not processing the review feedback itself)

has been rebased on master multiple time by now in the past 4 months and is quite up-to-date. It does build (most of the time) and most of the time passes the tests (once a round of review has been implemented it's made to pass the tests) ^^

*edit*
Click:

zizzithefox

Dabbler
The drives at work are the expensive datacenter models from Seagate or Western Digital.

Good for you. Recently I am a little sensitive, since I was wandering youtube following the fact that I've just dodged the WD Red SMR affair by sheer chance (many friends have been hit): full of people suggesting redeploying old desktops as freenas servers (man those systems without ECC memories are scary). Then I conducted a job interview for a friend regarding an IT position, and when I casually brought up URE rates about RAID systems and layed down the simple numbers... People simply don't know what I am talking about.
The best answer was: well, at Backblaze they deploy barracuda drives so...

ornias

Wizard
The best answer was: well, at Backblaze they deploy barracuda drives so...
Desktop drives are fine, yes the URE rates are higher... But you need to remember URE-time spread is not liniar.
Having an URE's is what raid is there to counter. The opinion of backblaze is the fact they can buy many more drives (and thus more redundancy) using desktop drives because they are cheaper.

Lets say:
You can buy 1 Enterprise drive for 100 bucks
or
You can buy 2 Consumer drives for 100 bucks with 25% worse of the URE rates (so 75% quality in comparison to Enterprise when it comes to URE rates) and put those in a mirror.

What would effectively have the lowest URE rates? The two consumer drives!
For simplicity sake i'll ignore the law of scale in this example, but with the laws of scale also come some benefids when it comes to chance.

I don't fear not running ECC, the chance of my non-ecc clients screwing-up data is always there anyway and the chances of dataloss in a way ECC would've covered it is many MANY times lower than that of my whole pool failing.

TLDR:
Backblaze uses consumer drives because of the laws of scale and the fact failure is not liniary spread over drive-lifetime.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
There is that and there was also necessity. Backblaze jumped into its consumer drive business because they had to shuck truckloads of external drives during the Thai flood aftermath when data enter-grade B2B drive costs reached astronomical levels and/or were simply not available at all.

Between their very efficient parity system, low data center air temperatures, and a small army of techs whose sole job it is to wander the halls and replace dead drives, Backblaze is in a much better position than most companies with data center assets to deal with less-than-optimal-life drives. (No appointments needed, no dispatch, etc)

It’s the same reason I have multiple burned-in, cold spares in case one of my NAS drives goes belly-up. Yeah, my used helium drives likely do not have the same remaining life expectancy as new ones, but I was willing to reap the benefit of paying 1/2 for used data-center grade HGST drives vs new ones. Plus, it allowed me the benefit of buying models from the same families as the ones that Backblaze published stats for.

Given the utter amount of BS coming out of WD, what faith should end consumers place in hard drive life statements, URE, etc from OEMs? After all, there is nothing that prevents a OEM of developing one drive family with one set of likely failure rates but then selling alleged failure rates along with bundled warranties at different price points. There is no harm in under promising and over-delivering actual performance vs. what the consumer paid for.

I have yet to see real documentation from HDD OEMs re: differences re: the spindles, bearings, motors, or platters used in “Data Center” vs. consumer drives. Yes, the PCB and the firmware may be different but the actual selection process may be as limited as binning bare drives with more vs. fewer initial defects, marrying the appropriate PCB to each drive, and shoveling them into their various sales channels.

Last edited:

Arwen

MVP
Back to the original topic.

One thing people overlook on ZFS RAID-Zx, is that it is by vDev. Many hardware RAID solutions come up with a fixed LUN -> RAID-5/6 set relationship. Meaning you generally can't have 2 x RAID-6 sets, exposed as 1 single LUN. So, it was easier for these systems to take the concept of a 5 disk RAID-6 and make it a 6 disk RAID-6. ZFS was not originally designed to do that. Instead, you add a new vDev or change out each disk with a larger one.

(To be clear, some non-enterprise hardware RAID controllers allow having multiple LUNs of different sizes exposed from a single RAID-5/6 set. I think Adaptec has a chip / card that can do that.)

Hi,

Expansion of raidz2/3 is an essential feature. Any idea when this will come to Linux? Here is what is happening to me right now:

I created a 5 disk raidz3 array with USB3.0 disks of 4TB each. This means 2 disks can fail and I would still have 3 copies of my data. ZFS shows me that I only have 4TB of usable space. After a few days of copying all my data from my old defunct backup machines I managed to fill up the 4TB.

So I went and bought another 5 disks of 4TB each.

But, now I discover raidz3 cannot be expanded - huh!?. So now I have 10x4TB of physical disk space and only 4TB of contiguous usable space.

Raidz3 has achieved a 10:1 reduction in usable disk space!! (Imagine such futuristic technology)

So now I am planning to copy the 4TB onto one disk, and create a 9-disk raidz3 array which should hopefully give me 12TB of space with 3 copies of all blocks.

Then I will copy the 4TB back onto raidz3.

(BTW the reason I want zaid3 is because I don't intend to ever monitor this setup. It's an install-it-and-leave-it scenario.)

So yeah, basically the whole point of ZFS is that it was supposed to obviate having to do weird things like copy-all-your-data-"somewhere"-and-then-reformat-all-your-drives (caydsatrayd).

ZFS was invented to avoid caydsatrayd, and now caydsatrayd is exactly what I am spending my whole day doing.

Is there something I am missing??

Constantin

Vampire Pig
I suggest posting a picture of your pool layout from the GUI. Something sounds really off.

Your pool should now have 10 drives, arranged as two 5-disk Z3 VDEVs. Let's confirm that.

If the above is correct, I reckon the available pool capacity should be something like 16TB, of which you shouldn't use more than about 12.5TB.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Any idea when this will come to Linux?
Was there something that made you think this was a Linux forum, so that you would join to post this question?
now I discover raidz3 cannot be expanded
So you didn't do any reading about ZFS before setting up your pool and committing data to it. But now you feel qualified to tell everyone what ZFS was designed to do. I don't see this ending well.
It's an install-it-and-leave-it scenario.
This either.
posting a picture of your pool layout from the GUI
That would assume s/he's using FreeNAS, which is contradicted by the reference to Linux.

sretalla