RAIDZ expansion, it's happening ... someday!

Stux

MVP
No idea, really--to even speculate would require a lot more knowledge of ZFS internals than I have.

Yeah, me too :)

kdragon75

Wizard
Any idea if there is a significant performance penalty when an array is degraded like that?
I would think that depends on if ZFS would continually calculate the parity for the stripwidth of the array including the missing disk. Perhaps its smart enough to reduce the stripe width by the one missing drive and still store the second parity.:confused:
People don't give ZFS enough credit for its complex yet elegant design.:eek:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I can't imagine performance being much worse than straight RAIDZ2. Maybe a little bit worse due to less optimized code paths.

Arwen

MVP
Why would you create a single disk degraded RAID-Z2?
When you could create a 2 disk degraded RAID-Z3!

That brings up an interesting point. Perhaps a new vDev type, (RAID-Yx ?), that has the property to add or remove parity drives. So you could go from 1 disk of parity to 2, or 3. Maybe some day / decade we deprecate RAID-Zx!

In all seriousness, if it were limited or no impact, I'd suggest putting a warning on RAID-Z1 and allowing a GUI option to create a degraded RAID-Z2. Then we just need to cause any alarm on that specific degradation to be muted.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, you won't be able to extend degraded vdevs, so that's a big disadvantage.

MiG

Dabbler
Yes, but as currently planned, you'd need to add them one at a time.
Apart from external phenomena like catastrophic multiple HDD failures during resilvering, can we expect there to be any innate risks associated with the new expansion feature?

I currently have a 6x8TB RZ2 pool that's at 84% and was considering adding a second one... However, expansion would make it interesting to just add 4 disks to the existing one, so now I'm considering holding off until this one finds its way into a stable release.

Last edited:

m0nkey_

MVP
How far is this feature? Is it implemented?
There was supposed to be a demo at the ZFS Dev Summit in October 2018 and expected to land in FreeBSD 12. That being said, FreeBSD 12 has been released but as far as I know RAIDZ expansion wasn't included. More work needs to be done.

raymondbh

Cadet
There was supposed to be a demo at the ZFS Dev Summit in October 2018 and expected to land in FreeBSD 12. That being said, FreeBSD 12 has been released but as far as I know RAIDZ expansion wasn't included. More work needs to be done.
I have not been able to find any way to track the progress of this, does OpenZFS have a system (bug/issue/tracking) so I (and others) can follow the progress?

m0nkey_

MVP
I have not been able to find any way to track the progress of this, does OpenZFS have a system (bug/issue/tracking) so I (and others) can follow the progress?
You can find all of the developer resources at http://open-zfs.org/wiki/Developer_resources

OpenZFS is currently going through a transition, so things might be a little be slow at this time. Right now, FreeBSD pulls in changes from Illumos. Delphix are transitioning to Linux based appliances, which means FreeBSD will soon start tracking ZFS on Linux. With this, ZFS on FreeBSD will see newer features sooner. The nice thing is there will be feature parity between Linux, FreeBSD, macOS and even Windows (yes, it's a thing)!

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2018-December/072422.html

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
We'll also be doing a Call for Testers in the next few weeks for https://zfsonfreebsd.github.io/ZoF/ with what's in now, the currently known caveats, and a great big warning that testing needs to be on experimental systems only at this stage.
Is that going to be incorporated into a FreeNAS beta release?

D

dlavigne

For 12, yes. the CfT will be for very early testing on the 12 nightlies.

intertan

Cadet
biggest thing is will there be a performance hit? Part of the reason I like unraid is I can expand when I want.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
There is an edge case when recovering blocks from parity, IIRC during the expansion process. The expansion process itself also takes up IO, obviously, but that's about it.

intertan

Cadet
There is an edge case when recovering blocks from parity, IIRC during the expansion process. The expansion process itself also takes up IO, obviously, but that's about it.
all greek to me at the moment. biggest question is if I currently have 100tb in my system. I add another 100, after expanding will I have 200tb or will I loose some with this feature? How about read/write performance after expanding?

sretalla