Raid-z2 expansion

moiconstantino

Dabbler
Hi everyone.
I have a TrueNAS with a pool 6x 3tb each, I like to expend my home TrueNASwith with more 3x HDD, but I don't know how, I try to find online and only I can see is an article from 2014, 16, and 18, with old FreeNAS software.

Does anyone know how to add more disk to the pool?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
According to the Guide, Section 10.2.6:

When adding disks to increase the capacity of a pool, ZFS supports the addition of virtual devices, or vdevs, to an existing ZFS pool. After a vdev is created, more drives cannot be added to that vdev, but a new vdev can be striped with another of the same type to increase the overall size of the pool. To extend a pool, the vdev being added must be the same type as existing vdevs. The EXTEND button is only enabled when the vdev being added is the same type as the existing vdevs.​
So, it's not possible to add 3 more drives to your existing RAIDZ2 VDEV of 6 drives, and you'd need another 3 drives to be able to create a 2nd RAIDZ2 VDEV you could use to stripe your pool over the original RAIDZ2 VDEV.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
That's the only non-destructive option. You could also destroy and recreate your pool to create a 9 drive RAIDZ2 or Z3 VDEV, and restore the contents from backup.