Raid or Mirroring 3 drives

Itsmittyhere

Cadet
I am new to Freenas and I temporarily setup a server from an old Dell T5400, 1 quad core Xeon 2.66 GHz with 16GB memory. I successfully installed Freenas 11.2 with Plex server working, so I ordered 3 - 4TB HGST Ultrastar hard drives because a friend recommended running Raidz1. After a lot of reading I am thinking about 3 way mirror. I want to use it for photo's, home vid's, music and movies. I am new to using raid and I'm not sure the best option for my storage. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

garm

Wizard
Risk assessment is all up to you, but I wouldn’t run a 3-way mirror in a home server. Get yourself another drive and do two 2-way mirrors or RAIDz2

Itsmittyhere

Cadet
Risk assessment is all up to you, but I wouldn’t run a 3-way mirror in a home server. Get yourself another drive and do two 2-way mirrors or RAIDz2
Thanks for your reply.. I've read that Raidz1 has a good possibility of failing... if and when I need to replace a drive. This was the only reason I considered a 3 way mirror. My biggest concern is the photo's and home vid's , the other media is replaceable.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I think the danger of RAIDZ1 is overstated, but nonetheless if you have data that's important I'd suggest something with more redundancy (keeping in mind that RAID is not a backup in any event). A three-way mirror would be safer than three disks in RAIDZ1, but would have half the capacity. I'd agree with @garm and recommend getting a fourth disk, and probably favor RAIDZ2 over striped mirrors.

Convict

Dabbler

Can you be more specific why you are not recommend 3-way mirror for home use ? Im asking because i was thinking more or less the same scenario for my data , Family Photos and Videos .

Thank you.

sretalla