RAID 5 Very slow smb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theflu

Dabbler
I just redid my freenas box to 8.2 RELEASE P1 x64 and i am only getting 8MB/s transfer with the previous release I was getting 50-80MB/s. I have enabled AIO and Autotune they didn't help.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Flu

Theflu

Dabbler

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Green is upload and Red is download.

Specs.
Build FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r11950)
Platform Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5120 @ 1.86GHz
Memory 4080MB

Its a HP Proliant ML 15 G3
Adaptec Raid controller with a Raid 5

Theflu

Dabbler
After some more searching I believe I have figured it out. I was using ZFS in the wrong way. I had set the RAID 5on my controller and just used 1 volume in my ZFS. I changed the RAID controller to just pass the individual drives through and used a five drives in a ZFS RAID Z.

Theflu

Dabbler
What kind of speeds should expect to get 5x500GB 7200rpm Raid Z with gigabit LAN?

Right now I am getting 40-50MB up 20MB down. Seems a bit on the low side still.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Depends. I'll assume you are using CIFS.

If you are running a RAIDZ1 or RAIDZ2 you need MUCH more RAM. The manual basically says you should have 6GB minimum if you plan to use ZFS and want reliability as well as performance. Your CPU is a little low on the frequency side for CIFS. CIFS is single threaded, so Ghz is really what matters, not the number of cores.

I will tell you that having intel NICs on the server as well as the desktop/workstation really mattered for me. For me it was an instant increase in performance of about 20%.

Theflu

Dabbler
Thanks for the info. I am using CIFS. Its an old server, so RAM should be cheap and I think i have some faster Xeon CPUs laying around I will try that.

Theflu

Dabbler
I just bought the parts to double th RAM and CPU. I will let you how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.