Quick Intro

jerrac

Dabbler
Hey all,

Hmm... I really have no idea what to post here....

Anyway, I've been wanting to set up FreeNAS for a long time, and I finally finished getting all the hardware I needed a few weeks ago. So I've set up FreeNAS as a virtual machine using virt-manager/qemu on Pop_OS (basically Ubuntu) 18.04. I was able to figure out how to get my HDD's passed through to the VM, then a bit of doc reading, and Googling, and I had my virtualized NAS all set up.

'Course, once I had my data transferred, I realized I need to rebuild the pool in order to add the two drives I just finished cleaning off into it... Heh...

So, thanks to all the developers who have put their time and money into building FreeBSD and FreeNAS! Without you, I'd be sad. :)

Bigsby

Dabbler
Hi Jerrac,

Just wondering what influenced the decision to run FreeNAS on a PopOS VM rather than bare metal?

jerrac

Dabbler
I also am running a Windows 10 vm with a gpu passed through to it for the games and programs I can't run on Linux. After poking around, I was wondering if I should switch to FreeNAS on bare metal, but this comment says I wouldn't be able to do the pass through stuff I need.

Bigsby

Dabbler
I see, makes sence.
So do you have a Linux daily driver system and then your VM box running with Win10 & Freenas?

jerrac

Dabbler
Yep, Linux as what I do most things on. Then, when I can't get something working on Linux, I have W10 available. For non-ssd storage, I have FreeNAS setup with 5 4TB HDDs passed through to its vm, that lets FreeNAS deal with them directly, no virtualization layer in the way, so they're configured into a RAIDZ1 pool.

I had initially configured them with just 3 HDDs since the other 2 had data on them. It took a while to move the data off of the other 2... Then when I went to add them to the pool, I discovered you can't just add disks to pools... So I copied all my data back off of my pool to an external hard drive, created a new pool with all 5 HDDs, and now I've been waiting for the past few days for my data to be imported back from the external hdd.

So I'm still in the discovery phase of all of this. Once the data is imported, I'll be able to see how well my setup really works.