Quick & dirty guide for compiling FreeNAS 9.10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thilo

Cadet
Thank you, this is really good.

One question though:

You describe how to install the build using the ISO/USB, but
how do I update the running FreeNAS without going through the ISO/USB stick installation?
Is it possible to (on the command line) create a new snapshot on the root and just untar something onto the RFS?
Or is it possible to utilize the web-gui interface to point it to my self build OS ?

Any hints are appreciated
Thilo

Last edited by a moderator:

JustinClift

Patron
how do I update the running freenas without going through the ISO/USB stick installation?
Is it possible to (on the command line) create a new snapshot on the root and just untar something onto the RFS?
Or is it possible to utilize the web-gui interface to point it to my self build OS ?
  1. In theory ;) , it's possible to push a newly compiled FreeNAS ISO/USB onto an existing remote one, via ssh. The "Updating an existing installation" bit at the bottom here gives the commands, which look very simple:

https://github.com/freenas/freenas-build#updating-an-existing-installation

It's not something I've ever needed to do, which is why I say "in theory". Haven't tried it myself. ;)

There's no reason it shouldn't work though.

2. It should be possible to change the expected update locations in the WebUI, to be a server you've put new builds on.

I haven't yet found the source file where it's defined, so I'm not sure on the best way to override it.

If you log into a FreeNAS box, the "UPDATE_SERVER" variable seems to be set in:

/usr/local/lib/freenasOS/__init__.py​

It's defined in a few places in that /usr/local/lib/freenasOS folder, but the 2nd definition in the __init__.py file seems to be where it takes effect (for a test system here).

No idea where the freenasOS source lives on GitHub though. If you find it, let me know. :)

Last edited:

JustinClift

Patron
Last edited:

Thilo

Cadet
Yes it does,

- unfortunately I am stuck right now with trying to build freenas in a freenas jail.....
Which seems to break at strange places.
(Since I am a netbsd guy and new to freebsd, all the jail stuff takes some time to understand)
Once I get the chicken and egg problem solved, I will post the details needed.

JustinClift

Patron
???

Er... why are you trying to build FreeNAS in a FreeNAS jail?

That's super unlikely to work.

Are you able to do it in a VM instead? (make sure it has 30GB+ free)

Thilo

Cadet
:smile:
Just because I can.

It does work, after I added all possible rights to the jail,

A VM ? Why would I want to have an hypervisor in between? Freenas is in the end just freebsd isn't it?

And Yes it took a while (with trial and error) to figure out that the jail needs:

param.allow.mount.zfs=true
param.allow.mount.tmpfs=true
param.allow.mount.linsysfs=true
param.allow.mount.linprocfs=true
param.allow.mount.procfs=true
param.allow.mount.nullfs=true
param.allow.mount.fdescfs=true
param.allow.mount.devfs=true
param.allow.mount=true
param.allow.socket_af=true
param.allow.chflags=true
param.children.max=5