Questions before major upgrades

BlazeStar

Patron
Hello,

I've been using FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE for a long time now, and I would like to upgrade to latest.

I was thinking about simply selecting the FreeNAS-11.3-STABLE train and upgrade with the GUI.

Is that the correct way?

A few questions:
  • I have two encrypted pools, is that an issue?
  • I have two FreeNAS boxes, one is used for snapshot replication only. Does it matter which one I upgrade first?
    • I was thinking about using the backup box (the FreeNAS installation that receives the snapshot replication) to test the upgrade. Will it still be able to receive snapshot replication once it is upgraded to 9.10, from a 11.3 system?
  • On one box, I have a lot of active plugins, and a few jails. What happens with them?
  • Anything else I should consider?

Thanks!

Alecmascot

Guru
Be very careful with encrypted pools !!!
Do a search for "upgrade from 9.10" and review the results.
As I recall most people upgraded in stages, to 11.0 first.

BlazeStar

Patron
Be very careful with encrypted pools !!!
Do a search for "upgrade from 9.10" and review the results.
As I recall most people upgraded in stages, to 11.0 first.

Alright I will, thanks!
I read this:

I made sure my system dataset is not on an encrypted pool!

Anyone can respond to these concerns?

• I have two FreeNAS boxes, one is used for snapshot replication only. Does it matter which one I upgrade first?
    • I was thinking about using the backup box (the FreeNAS installation that receives the snapshot replication) to test the upgrade. Will it still be able to receive snapshot replication once it is upgraded to 9.10, from a 11.3 system?
  • On one box, I have a lot of active plugins, and a few jails. What happens with them?
  • Anything else I should consider?

BlazeStar

Patron
Forget everything else but I'd really like to know what happens to my plugins, and jails, after I do the upgrade.

Will they still work?

I'm tying to look around google and the documentation but I have not found anything about that yet!

Alecmascot

Guru
Upgrade to no higher than 11.2-U3 then you will still have your Warden jails and legacy gui and will be able to convert them to Iocage jails with the built-in conversion script.
Then go to 11.3-U4.1.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
I've been using FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE for a long time now, and I would like to upgrade to latest.
The biggest question is... Why? You should fight the urge and if it works, leave it alone. But I never take my own advice on this one, I just upgraded to 11.3-U4.1 a few weeks ago when 11.1-U7 was working just fine. I didn't like the new UI when it first came out but it's gotten much better so I'm getting use to it.

If you can, ensure your data is backed up on someplace safe before moving forward. Encrypted pools can take a hit if not done properly and when you read the stories on the forums, it happens too often.

BlazeStar

Patron
Upgrade to no higher than 11.2-U3 then you will still have your Warden jails and legacy gui and will be able to convert them to Iocage jails with the built-in conversion script.
Then go to 11.3-U4.1.

GREAT adivice.

I installed 11.2 and then 11.3

11.2 let me access the legacy UI and manage my jails.

11.3 did NOT!

But I could go back to 11.2 by switching the boot environment.

There I could extract all my stuff and then create new iocages.

I decided to install clean plugins and iocages, then just pull the database and settings so I didn't use any jail to iocage script or update feature.

Now I'm running 11.3 and it's doing GREAT!

Wow... there's been a LOT of improvement... I'm quite happy I made the jump!

I'll be waiting a few days/week before I update the feature flags.

Thanks all for your comments.