qbittorrent wont start on vnet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

indivision

Guru
When I install the qbittorrent plugin it works with default network settings (DHCP).

But, if I change to vnet + IP address, it won't even start.

Are some plugins not compatible with VNET?

kdragon75

Wizard
Have you checked to see if qbittorent is generating logs? Does the jail even start? Please try to provide as much information in your posts as you can. Include details like why you think its not working. What errors did you see? Did you try any extra steps? What version of FreeNAS are you running?

indivision

Guru
FreeNAS 11.2 beta 3

I do not know how to check for qbittorrent logs.

No. The jail does not start.

If I knew why it was not working I would include it in my post. And if there was an error received I would also include that. There is no error given by the GUI. You click the start button and it shows the jail as up. But, if you navigate away and back it shows it as down immediately. No messages about why. This same behavior occurs when I try to start from the installed plugins page.

I'm not aware of any other steps to try. That's why I'm asking for recommendations here.

kdragon75

Wizard
You click the start button and it shows the jail as up. But, if you navigate away and back it shows it as down immediately. No messages about why. This same behavior occurs when I try to start from the installed plugins page.
This is much more helpful. Try starting the jail and copy the output of tail -n 20 /var/log/messages. Post it here in code tags.

indivision

Guru
Thank you.

I can run that command on a jail that is reconfigured to use the default DHCP settings.

But, the problem is that once I change to VNET in the GUI settings, it doesn't start up. I couldn't run this line on it because it won't start. It's odd. Once I try the VNET settings, I can't seem to even revert to DHCP and get it working. It seems to get mangled in some way and I have to just make a new plugin to get the working DHCP again.

kdragon75

Wizard
I should have been more clear, run the command on FreeNAS and not inside the jail. I want to see if FreeNAS is logging an error when starting the jail.

indivision

Guru
Oh wow.

My first try produced nothing because I haven't retried starting the jail recently.

So, I went to start it up again to generate a possible error for you. To my surprise, it successfully booted up this time.

BUT, I went into the jail to run ifconfig. And it showed 255 tun entries! "tun0, tun1, tun2 ... all the way to tun255"

That doesn't seem normal..

kdragon75

Wizard
I don't have much experience with tun interfaces or openVPN. I'm more in the storage side of things. Anyway, that seems odd...

indivision

Guru
That is ok. I think that I am going to drop Transmission in favor of QBittorrent simply because its closer to being set up.

This VNET problem I'm having affected both. But, I have resolved it by just using DHCP and having my router assign a static IP. Not my first choice. But, it will work.

Thank you for taking a look.

kdragon75

Wizard
That is ok. I think that I am going to drop Transmission in favor of QBittorrent simply because its closer to being set up.

This VNET problem I'm having affected both. But, I have resolved it by just using DHCP and having my router assign a static IP. Not my first choice. But, it will work.

Thank you for taking a look.
As an admin, it's so much easier to set reservation that to hope other people configurer things correctly. Even at home that means a box get an IP not the OS. I can reuse a box and BAM I already know what the IP will be.

indivision

Guru
Makes sense.

Though, if VNET is broken or does not behave as expected based on UI input, that should probably be addressed.

kdragon75

Wizard

kdragon75

Wizard
I dont have time to look on my test VM but try
Code:
find / -name <service name>

indivision

Guru
Thank you.

I was able to find the service name. However, setting the user via rc.conf doesn't seem to work. The files downloaded by qbittorrent still require the jail root permissions to delete.

kdragon75

Wizard
Thank you.

I was able to find the service name. However, setting the user via rc.conf doesn't seem to work. The files downloaded by qbittorrent still require the jail root permissions to delete.
Are they owned by the new user? Is there a umask setting?

indivision

Guru
Unfortunately, no. The files are not owned by the new user. They are owned by the jails root user which is causing the problem.

There is not a umask setting in FreeNAS GUI or the qbittorrent GUI. There could be a umask setting available through config files. But, I'm not sure where to look to figure that out. Part of the problem is that qbittorrent is made for many different platforms. So, when you search for things like this the results are flooded with information for Ubuntu and Windows.

kdragon75

Wizard
Ok you have multiple threads working towards the same end... I'm out on this.

indivision

Guru
To be honest, I would prefer that someone else try to help. But, thank you for your time.

kdragon75

Wizard
You get what you pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.