PSA: Java 8 Update 131 breaks ASRock's IPMI Virtual console

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
This same problem also affects IPMI on the Supermicro system boards I use.
My solution was to uninstall Java and go back to jre1.8.0_111...
Unfortunately, that means I can't update until I am done using these system boards.
So, I am really liking the idea of running a copy of Windows in a VM so I can keep my working version updated.

Stux

MVP
I use a Mac but don't use it for IPMI for two reasons:

1. Installing Java on a Mac is a pain.
2. I really, really don't want Java on my Mac.

My workaround is to use a Windows Virtual Machine inside my Mac. I do the Java installs and tweaks there and use it for IPMI work.

I own a Windows 10 license for dev work, but you should be able to use the free VMs Microsoft offers for browser testing here:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/

I'd try "Microsoft Edge on Win10 (x64) Stable (#####)" with whatever the current version number is first.

If you don't already have VM Software, I'd go with VirtualBox. It's also free and can be downloaded from here:

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Note that the Microsoft VM only lasts for 90 days. So, make sure to keep the original copy so you can reinstall, or create a snapshot when you first install it so you can roll back easily.

It's still a bit of a pain, but well worth it for me compared to putting Java on my Mac.

Good luck.

I use IE in Win10 inside a VM on OSX to access SuperMicro iKVM. Never could get it to work native.

These days I use the HTML5 kvm via chrome direct on OSX *except* when I need to mount virtual media.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
These days I use the HTML5 kvm via chrome direct on OSX *except* when I need to mount virtual media.
I really hope they get that working soon on HTML5.

Stux

MVP
Don't know how they could. Does HTML5 allow access to raw files on the host OS? Didn't think it did. You obviously can't 'upload' a full file to the BMC, so it needs to be able to remap reads to the ISO.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The new Supermicro server I got at work last October has HTML5 and Java consoles and I use a Linux computer to remote into the Java console because it is faster than the HTML5. Less lag. I use that for everything except today, I actually went in the server room to shut it down and upgrade the RAM. I used the actual local console.

I don't hold out any hope that they will fix the older system boards like I use at home.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Don't know how they could. Does HTML5 allow access to raw files on the host OS? Didn't think it did. You obviously can't 'upload' a full file to the BMC, so it needs to be able to remap reads to the ISO.
You can do what the java application does. Load the file on the client, which is definitely doable because many websites do that these days. I'd hate to be the guy doing all that in JavaScript, but it's possible. I mean, I'd rather write it in x64 assembly than JavaScript, but it's been done. I hear good things about Motorola 68k assembly, too. Can't be worse than JavaScript.

Linkman

Patron
M68K assembly is nice, clean, orthogonal instruction set, but it's been nigh on decades since I've looked at.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

brando56894

Wizard
This also affects the Asus X99-WS/IPMI ASM8 iKVM

I contacted Asus' support and they had no idea what I was talking about, I further explained it and the ticket has been open for 3 weeks with no resolution.

TreyIsTheWay

Cadet
The latest Java 8 Update 131 breaks ASRock's IPMI Virtual console. Please do not update Java if you wish to continued access to your boards IMPI.

This is due to Java 8 Update 131's increased security requirements as seen by the error message seen when attempting to run it:

Affected motherboards:
  • E3C224D2I
  • E3C226D2I
  • E3C236D2I
  • EPC612D4U-2T8R
  • C2550D4I
  • C2750D4I
You're encouraged to contact ASRock Rack support at http://event.asrockrack.com/tsd.asp to report this issue.

Latest Java version known to work with this boards is Java 8 Update 121, which can be downloaded from: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/j...rchive-javase8-2177648.html#jre-8u121-oth-JPR

(Please note that you will need to sign-in to/create an Oracle account to download previous versions).

If your ASRock Rack board is affected, please reply and I'll update the list of affected boards.

Edit: It appears that ASRock Rack are aware of the issue and are working on a fix.

Updated: June 24th 2017 - Added additional motherboards to the list.
IPMI is a great tool, Java breaking it though, not so great

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Took them long enough...

Green750one

Dabbler
You can get round this by editing the java security config file. Remove references to md5.

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

m0nkey_

MVP
It appears that ASRock are pushing out firmware updates for the BMC which resolves this issue, so no more editing the Java security files.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
It appears that ASRock are pushing out firmware updates for the BMC which resolves this issue, so no more editing the Java security files.
This problem also affects the older Supermicro boards (like the ones I use) and Supermicro has not yet fixed the problem.

Redcoat

MVP
The new BMC firmware fixes the IPMI Java issue for me. Unfortunately they did not take the opportunity to fix the crappy SMTP (non)functioning ...

brando56894

Wizard
This also affects the Asus X99-WS/IPMI ASM8 iKVM

I contacted Asus' support and they had no idea what I was talking about, I further explained it and the ticket has been open for 3 weeks with no resolution.

They still have absolutely no clue, and now the webgui hangs on login occasionally.