PSA: HPE Solid State Drive Models, Drive Failure at 32,768 Hours of Operation

garm

Wizard
This seams to be the root cause of some recent spectacular catastrophes in Swedish healthcare and law enforcement...
Redundancy is no solution when all drives fail at the same instance..

That's a perfect example of a reason to have the drives in your pools different ages..... If you had a realtime backup on an HDD you would be fine but who does that of a SSD pool? Think there are going to be law suits about this?

garm

Wizard
Sweden doesn't have anything like English common law, so the ability sue for damages is limited

Also interesting is some of these are the massive samsung SSD's we were talking about in another thread in regards to the death of HDD's....... I wonder if these will start appearing cheaply on ebay....

garm

Wizard
Apparently the HPE SSD firmwares where 32 bits (27 effective?) instead of 64, thus the register ran out after about 3 years. Hopefully some manager somewhere is fired at least..

Arwen

MVP
Another way to plan around these types of errors, is mixed models or even vendors.

For my FreeNAS pool, I used half WD Reds and half WD Red Pros. I hope that they will have different life spans. (And they were all bought at different times.)

Some people think that is over-kill, but I wanted something to last 5 years or more. (Of course, it was the IPMI firmware & Intel CPU issue that will actually kill my FreeNAS.)