PSA: Fix pkg after upgrading an iocage jail to 12.1

Yorick

Wizard
After upgrading a jail using iocage upgrade -r 12.1-RELEASE jailname on TrueNAS Core 12.0 Beta 1, pkg inside the jail will fail, thusly:

Code:
root@traefik:~ # pkg info
ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libarchive.so.6" not found, required by "pkg"

Fix this by running pkg-static install -f -y pkg inside the jail, which removes the reference to the removed libarchive.so.6.

Which in turn allows you to run pkg upgrade -y to complete the conversion of the jail to 12.1.

Last edited:

ThreeDee

Guru
Would this get my Plex and Ubiquiti Controller jails working in 12 beta?

ThreeDee

Guru
how do you execute the command when the jail won't start?

ThreeDee

Guru
Code:
UniFi devfs_ruleset 5 does not exist! - not starting jail

ThreeDee

Guru
I'm going to need my hand held a bit on that one .. google'n right now though

jasonsansone

Explorer
SSH in to your TrueNAS box. Navigate to your jail. It will be located at /mnt/POOL_NAME/iocage/jails/JAIL_NAME/. Execute nano config.json. Remove the line related to devfs. Start the jail.

ThreeDee

Guru
UniFi working now .. Thanks a bunch for the hand holding, lol .. I didn't need to run the OP's commands , upgrade to 12.1 went without a hitch .. now to mess with Plex :cool:

jasonsansone

Explorer
You won't need to run the OP command until after you run "iocage upgrade JAIL -r 12.1-RELEASE" to upgrade the jail to 12.1.

ThreeDee

Guru
You won't need to run the OP command until after you run "iocage upgrade JAIL -r 12.1-RELEASE" to upgrade the jail to 12.1.
I ran that and no errors ..everything was found and jails are running now .. I just had to remove the devfs rule 5 line from both jails config.json files so they could start

ThreeDee

Guru
odd thing now though is that my UniFi jail still says 11.3-RELEASE-p11 even though the update appeared to go through just fine .. my Plex jail says 12.1-RELEASE-p7 .. but not my UniFi jail. I ran:
Code:
iocage upgrade -r 12.1-RELEASE UniFi
twice

Jail comes up just fine... works just fine .. just showing 11.3 Release

ah ..
Code:
Branch 12.1-RELEASE does not exist at https://github.com/lbalker/iocage-plugin-unificontroller.git!
Using "master" branch for plugin, this may not work with yor RELEASE

...mystery solved

Last edited:

ThreeDee

Guru
You are running the plugins, not custom jails. That is why.
ah .. yeah, they were "modified" plugins to get latest repos instead of quarterly

nic_greene

Dabbler
I just switched trains to 12.1
I am running into a situation where
Code:
iocage upgrade -r 12.1-RELEASE jailname
appears to hang up after listing
"The following files will be removed as part of updating to 12.1-RELEASE-p7:" there's a long list and then (END) and it appears to hang up there.
Is this the newbiest newbie question ever?

jasonsansone

Explorer
It can take some time depending on the NAS processor. You can confirm the system hasn’t hung by monitoring processes.

nic_greene

Dabbler
It can take some time depending on the NAS processor. You can confirm the system hasn’t hung by monitoring processes.
Thanks for that. What is happening is that Freenas is disconnecting from my SSH connection mid upgrade. I did successfully upgrade the Plex Plug in. Any further suggestions appreciated.

Last edited: