Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

Project-Trident 1.0 released

Nevets

Hi Rod,
The installer needs me to configure internet for it to do an install.
If I drop into the shell of the installer, what are the equivalent cmds to "sudo bsdconfig networking" please for the installer to use my modem router.
Thanks,
Steve

Nevets

Thanks Rod...
[Trident is no longer freebsd.] Of courre, hence the 'equivalent' in my message.
1. I Have a fixed IP address for PC set in modem, so not DHCP - this is required for router to connect to other devices so I can't change this just to install Trident on one device.
2. I'm not using wifi so this mnu option doesn't help - it tells me so.
So, this bnrings me to the installer shell where I need to let the installer know the IP address of the PC and the IP address of the gateway, subnet mask....
How do I do this from the installer shell so the installer can access the internet?
Kind regards,
Steve

Nevets

scroll down to the

"Connecting to hotel / restaurant / airport hotspots via the command line"

As I said - not using wifi - however the top of the page you gave me showed setting a static IP in void.

I managed to edit in the installer shell rc.local like this:
cd /etc
sudo vi rc.local
o
IP link set dev eth0 up
esc
o
IP addr add 192.168.1.2/24 brd + dev eth0
[or what ever static pc IP address you're using]
esc
o
IP route add default via 192.168.1.1
[or what ever modem gateway IP address you're using]
esc
:w
:q

Bit of a shock having to use vi editor for the first time [no ee editor]

result of rc.local was:
IP link set dev eth0 up
IP addr add 192.168.1.2/24 brd + dev eth0
IP route add default via 192.168.1.1

However, still no luck getting the installer to cope.

qn: should I be using 'l0' or 're0' and not 'eth0' do you think - worth a try?

Thanks.

Nevets

scroll down to the

"Connecting to hotel / restaurant / airport hotspots via the command line"

The void install page at https://docs.voidlinux.org/installation/live-images/guide.html shows their net installer letting the user set their configuration in a utility as part of the installation. With respect should we not move to a similar method?
Until then I'm seemingly excluded from the Project-Trident user family as fiddling about in the installer shell, trying to edit config files isn't working.
Steve

Rod Myers

FreeNAS Guru
that it is the void installer, which knows nothing about zfs, nor do they want to know zfs.

Yes, while that mainly talks about WiFI, one could manually set the lan adapter as well. but hey, that's just me