Problems connecting Freenas to Windows 10

w0rm220

Cadet
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and I've been trying to find a solution to my problem for the past couple of days without any luck.

So basically I am trying to connect my FreeNas to my PC via two Chelsio PCI-E CC2-S320E-SR 10GbE Dual Port SFP+. As I am doing P2P without switch I did follow the couple of videos showing how to do it (assigning fix IPs). FreeNas seems to be detecting the Network Card as I can see the name on the Dashboard. I've also installed the drivers on my Windows PC (I did try to contact Chelsio to make sure I was using the correct ones for the T3 cards but they told me the card I was using was discontinued and they stopped doing support for them) but it did seems to work.

Some help would be most welcomed.

Here is my config :

OS SSD : Samsung SSD 250gb
CPU : Intel Xeon E5-2670 v3
MB : Supermicro X10SRi-F
CPU Cooler : Supermicro SNK-P0050AP4
RAM : 8x8 Crucial DDR-4 ECC
PSU : Seasonic 750w Focus
HDD : 6x6TB WD Reds
Network Card : Chelsio PCI-E CC2-S320E-SR 10GbE Dual Port SFP+
Transceiver : Finisar FTLX8571D3BCL and a Chelsio

Cheers!
Steph

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
And what precisely is your problem? What are you doing? What are you expecting to happen? What happens instead?

Some shots from the hip:

1. Can you "ping" your FreeNAS IP-Adress from the PC? If not, your network cards, your IP address assignement, your cabling or something completely different is broken.
2. Have you enabled the SMB service in FreeNAS?
3. Have you defined any SMB shares in FreeNAS?
4. What happens if you invoke \\ip-of-your-freenas in Windows, provided step 1 was successful?

w0rm220

Cadet
Thanks for your reply Patrick, I will try it when I am at the office tomorrow!

w0rm220

Cadet
Hi Patrick,

So the problem seems to be the link between the two chelsios network cards. I installed them on my computer and freenas and they both seem to be working but there are no links when I plug them together (see screenshots attached). I can see the interface on freenas cxb0 and cxgb1. On my windows computer it's the same it detects the card but there is no link. I've set up all the pool and smb shares and they all work via the 1gb ethernet. So pinging only works with the 1gb ethernet but not with the 10gb, same for invoking it in windows.

Thanks again for your help!

Attachments

• freenas chelsio.JPG
    freenas chelsio.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 173
  • windows chelsio.JPG
    windows chelsio.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 178

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Then you need to check your cabling, obviously. If I am not mistaken you must use a cable with all 8 wires connected for 10G. If this is fiber instead of copper, you need to switch the two tiny plugs on one end to generate a "crossover" configuration.

w0rm220

Cadet
Thanks for your quick reply Patrick.
So I would need two more fiber module and another fiber cable? I thought I only needed one multimode fiber cable to connect them as multimode did crossover. Do you think if I bought a simple DAC cable it would do the trick? Right now I have two 10gbe modules with one fiber multimode OM3 cable to link the cards.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You definitely don't need more than one SFP+ on each end.
A common fibre patch "cable" has got two fibres, right? You need to switch them on one end. The crossing is not related to multi or single mode.

Which SFP+ modules precisely are you using?

c77dk

Patron
So I would need two more fiber module and another fiber cable? I thought I only needed one multimode fiber cable to connect them as multimode did crossover. Do you think if I bought a simple DAC cable it would do the trick? Right now I have two 10gbe modules with one fiber multimode OM3 cable to link the cards.

You don't need another module. The multimode is just the transmission standard for the fiber.
A simple way to check if the transciever is working is to use one of the fibers to loop the two connectors on the module and check if you get a link up - if not, then the problem might be an incompatible/broken module, or broken cable.

w0rm220

Cadet
Thanks for the replies guys!
It seems to work now! I did the looping test c77dk advised on my windows PC and it made it crash at startup (BSOD), so I did it on the freenas and it actually worked, both 10gb were up and running. So I plugged one in my PC and it was actually working. Both on FreeNas and PC are connected. But as soon as I try to connect to the server on windows via the explorer I get the BSOD... I have attached a picture of modules I am using and of the BSOD.

Thanks again for your help guys!

Attachments

• IMG_20200629_122908.jpg
    IMG_20200629_122908.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_20200629_115622 (1).jpg
    IMG_20200629_115622 (1).jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 185

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
In that case contact the card manufacturer or reseller. I doubt anyone here can help with what looks like a driver problem.

Just one last hint: SFP+ modules are generally not mix and match, i.e. you should get matching ones from your card manufacturer (Chelsio) if they are reasonably priced or look for a trustworthy 3rd party vendor who offers "Chelsio coded" modules. But again, check with Chelsio what their cards accept.

Last edited:

w0rm220

Cadet
I did try everything with the drivers and unfortunately I don't think there is anything I can do... I tried to contact the manufacturers yesterday but they don't do support for this card anymore. So I ordered the new Asus XG-C100F it should work fine with my motherboard and w10.

Thanks to both of you for your time and help!