Problems after restore/reinstall - sudden reboots

TW1920

Dabbler
Hello,

yesterday evening my system disk is crashed - it's completly dead. So finally normally no big deal: New disk, (data is raid, but the system disk wasn't), install FreeNAS, upload config, reboot, all should ok.
I did this on my second one and had no problems doing this.

In this case I have to problems - the first one isn't in my opinion a real problem, the second is a great one:
1. I didn't created a copy of the config after I created a VM - so now this one isn't visible anymore. I thought that I can reconfigurate the VM and bring it up in this way. Is this working? But if not wouldn't be important because it was at this time only testing stuff I can recreate. I didn't had the possability to test to restore the vm cause of th big problem:
2. After importing the saved configuration FreeNAS is coming up, Jails are starting and getting up and working. Short time later unexpectly FreeNAS is rebooting - I don't know why - couldn't see any message why and couldn't found any log to check what happening.
I don't know what's going wrong :(
Before FreeNAS was working very well and stable - does anyone have an idea what could be the problem or how to fix it?
If I set FreeNAS to default setting - what exactly will happen? The main config of the system isn't important, I can do it again, only the Jails and bhyve VMs or other stored data on the data zpool shouldn't get lost or out of the management of FreeNAS.

I hope someone can help me

Greets

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Try turning on the console messages in System->Advanced. You may be able to see what's going on when it crashes and reboots.

Lyubomyr83

Dabbler
It's the same I see on screen - right? There is nothing what explain a reboot :confused:
I think it’s a bug, You’re not alone. Unscheduled system reboot come suddenly with several last updates (don’t really know which one). FreeNAS worked like a clock without any problems several years till now. I try to reinstall my FreeNAS VM without any extended disks, only with host disk (I add 2 partitions 32gb for system and 40gb for pool). And when I try to use transmission plugin for download or try to put some data to pool disk, I receive randomly switching off this VM. And I think, it’s happening when try to put something to disk. I think developers must investigate this thread.

TW1920

Dabbler
At one point good to know not being alone with wondering about the strange situation, but finally no good news :(

At this - the NAS is useless - I take another look, but I cannot see any reason. It's like a HP SSD with a built in time to die...

Does anyone can say a downgrade will be working? So I install older version and import my config on it?

FreeNAS worked like a clock without any problems several years till now.
Yeah, FreeNAS was on every time before very stable and had never problems with it.

Lyubomyr83

Dabbler
At one point good to know not being alone with wondering about the strange situation, but finally no good news :(

At this - the NAS is useless - I take another look, but I cannot see any reason. It's like a HP SSD with a built in time to die...

Does anyone can say a downgrade will be working? So I install older version and import my config on it?

Yeah, FreeNAS was on every time before very stable and had never problems with it.
One good man from proxmox community forum help fix my problem:
1E28A971-9680-4614-B245-1ED204AF65CE.jpeg

Lyubomyr83

Dabbler
If your FreeNAS is a virtual mashine - try to change your network adapter to the «VMware vmxnet3». It helped me. I try downgrade and another, but only this helped me! Try.

TW1920

Dabbler
On my side it's directly installed on the host, so it's not a vm :confused:

I don't know why it worked until the SSD Crash and after clean install and reimport of my config not. I tried to disable all my bhyve VMs and Jails - but same again.

Interesting I would found to know if I can import Jails and the VMs without my saved config. I will try how good FreeNAS works after a clean install without import of the config. I did the import shortly after it was up so I cannot say for sure it's after the config.

Lyubomyr83

Dabbler
On my side it's directly installed on the host, so it's not a vm :confused:

I don't know why it worked until the SSD Crash and after clean install and reimport of my config not. I tried to disable all my bhyve VMs and Jails - but same again.

Interesting I would found to know if I can import Jails and the VMs without my saved config. I will try how good FreeNAS works after a clean install without import of the config. I did the import shortly after it was up so I cannot say for sure it's after the config.
I think, there are some problems with old drivers for some network adapters in new version FreeNAS. You can try install old version FreeNAS or change your adapter or install proxmox hypervisor and FreeNAS as VM.