Problemas with rc.conf installing apache24

jagthejag

Cadet
Hi, I'm trying to install apache24 in a Freenas 11.2-U7. I modify rc.conf to add line
apache24_enable="YES"
but when I use:
sysrc -v apache24_enable
the answer is:
/etc/rc.conf apache24_enable: NO
And, when I try to start apache with:
service apache24 start
the answer is:
Cannot 'start' apache24. Set apache24_enable to YES in /etc/rc.conf or use 'onestart' instead of 'start'.
If I execute:
cat /etc/rc.conf
I can see at the end of the file the line:
apache24_enable="YES"

Can anybody help me?
Thx.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
FreeNAS is an appliance and you cannot add random packages to it.

If you want a web server, you can install a jail, which creates an isolated environment where it is safe to install a copy of FreeBSD and then install packages.

Last edited:

jagthejag

Cadet
Many thx for your reply.

I tought because FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD that would be enough to install Apache on it (or other kind of software).

So, did you mean I have to create a jail, in witch to install a copy of FreeBSD and other packages like Apache? Can you recommend me any document-howto to do that?

Regards,

jagthejag

Cadet
It wouldn't be enough installing Apache on jail? It's necessary to install FreeBSD+Apache on the jail?

Thanks

garm

Wizard
Just create a jail and you have a “vanilla” ish FreeBSD to install Apache (although I recommend Nginx) and what ever else you want

danb35

Hall of Famer
FreeNAS is not an appliance
I think there's a spare "not" there--are you getting worn out after your 12,000 posts?

danb35

Hall of Famer

jagthejag

Cadet
Many thx to everybody. I've install Apache on a jail without problems, It works!

Now, I'll try to install Mysql and PHP; a new challenge for me! Any recommendation?

Regards.