Problem with Windows File Sharing

markgca

Dabbler
im new to FreeNAS, and dont know much about FreeBSD.
watched a bunch of youtube videos, watched the ixsystems videos, followed them to the letter. but i cant get it to work sharing files. everything else about the GUI and the legacy panel seems to work however.

Problem; i can create shares, but i dont see them and cant link to them on my windows machine. Im running 5 nas's; 3 netgear, 1 qnap, and now a freenas, and everything else shows up in the network tab. i know on freenas i have to map a drive, but when i try it says invalid login. note i am NOT using guest access.

FreeNAS installed fine, all the functions seem to work fine. i can and have experimented around with it for a week now, and everything seems to work including jails/vms, installed a antivirus plugin, etc. But i just cant get any share to work. which is the entire point of a nas..

followed the ixsystems 201 video to the letter, and nothing. Just keep getting access denied when i try to link.
tried resetting freenas and starting over, 3 times, again following either the youtube tutorials or the ixsystems tutorials; nothing changes. i did this just in case my changing other options and playing with vms/jails might have interfered with the share function (i didnt even try the shares for a while since i was trying to learn the options in the server itself, and rather focused on the vms/jails/other options).

tried smbstatus -l and it shows nothing running, so at least that narrows it down i guess, but im at a loss at what to do at this point. i did enable, and start, the smb function.

system:
FreeNAS-11.2
Supermicro X10DRL-I-B, Xeon E-5-2620 v4, 32GB ECC DDR4
Boot: 2x 250GB WD SSD
Pool: Seagate Exos 7x16TB RAIDZ3
LSI 9305-16i
Corsair RM650

any help is appreciated. this is supposed to replace all three of the netgear nas's that are getting old, but until i can copy over some data its just an expensive boat anchor.

thanks,

mark

markgca

Dabbler
testparm -s
root@freenas[~]# testparm -s
Registered MSG_REQ_POOL_USAGE
Registered MSG_REQ_DMALLOC_MARK and LOG_CHANGED
Load smb config files from /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf
Processing section "[Files]"
Processing section "[homes]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

# Global parameters
[global]
aio max threads = 2
bind interfaces only = Yes
deadtime = 15
disable spoolss = Yes
dns proxy = No
dos charset = CP437
hostname lookups = Yes
interfaces = 127.0.0.1 192.168.2.16
kernel change notify = No
lm announce = Yes
load printers = No
logging = file
max log size = 51200
max open files = 939269
nsupdate command = /usr/local/bin/samba-nsupdate -g
obey pam restrictions = Yes
printcap name = /dev/null
security = USER
server min protocol = NT1
server role = standalone server
server string = FreeNAS Server
time server = Yes
username map = /usr/local/etc/smbusers
idmap config *: range = 90000001-100000000
idmap config * : backend = tdb
acl allow execute always = Yes
create mask = 0666
directory mask = 0777
directory name cache size = 0
dos filemode = Yes
strict locking = No

[Files]
aio write size = 0
path = "/mnt/myvolume/myfiles"
read only = No
veto files = /.snapshot/.windows/.mac/.zfs/
vfs objects = zfs_space zfsacl streams_xattr
zfsacl:acesort = dontcare
nfs4:chown = true
nfs4:acedup = merge
nfs4:mode = special

[homes]
aio write size = 0
comment = Home Directories
path = "/mnt/myvolume/myusers/%U"
read only = No
valid users = %U
root@freenas[~]# >....
read only = No

[homes]
aio write size = 0
comment = Home Directories
path = "/mnt/myvolume/myusers/%U"
read only = No
valid users = %U
root@freenas[~]#

getfacl /mnt/myvolume

root@freenas[~]# getfacl /mnt/myvolume
# file: /mnt/myvolume
# owner: root
# group: wheel
owner@:rwxp--aARWcCos:-------:allow
group@:r-x---a-R-c--s:-------:allow
everyone@:r-x---a-R-c--s:-------:allow
root@freenas[~]#

markgca

Dabbler
i changed the owner and group to see what happens, same problem, different acls.

Capture.PNG

markgca

Dabbler
anyone?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
ACLs shouldn't be set on /mnt/myvolume. The current permission set prevents anyone other than members of "myusers" traversing to your shares. Select one share that isn't working and post getfacl output for each path component to it.

markgca

Dabbler
i didnt change the acls, just the owner/group in the freenas web to see what would happen. basically im trying different settings based on many different youtube or ixsystems tutorials since i am totally at a loss here.

the problem is when i click on the freenas icon in the windows network browser, it gives me a login box but wont let me log in.

so i cant even get TO the shares at this point.

but for what i do have here is the output;

and thanks for any help; at this point this is the most expensive boat anchor i have ever had...

Attachments

• myfiles.PNG
    myfiles.PNG
    32.4 KB · Views: 216

markgca

Dabbler
Update:
did a lot of experimentation, and here is a summary. everything works EXCEPT FreeNAS on ONE computer; unfortunately that is my desktop that is used 99% of the time

Three computers, 5 nas boxes

Nas boxes
  • Qnap with smb3/2/2.1/1 enabled
  • Freenas with smb2 and smb1 (for testing)
  • ReadyNAS x3 with smb1 only

Computer 1 (desktop)
  • Network browser shows all shares, but ONLY with NetBIOS setting at default. If turned off it doesn’t see the freenas and some other shares. SMB1 is enabled via control panel/windows features. In other words, apparently NetBIOS over TCP/IP is being used to show the shares.
  • If a share is not showing in the browser (which happens if you disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP) and you type the hostname into file explorer it can browse everything except the freenas box, which it can see but not log into (error of user name or password is incorrect, and is the IDENTICAL username/password as Computer 2).
  • FreeNAS share, when selected, shows a login screen that says Enter network credentials, but even with proper credentials that work fine on the other two computers (below) it fails with a "The user name or password is incorrect."
Computer 2 (laptop 1)
  • Network browser shows all shares, but ONLY with NetBIOS setting at default, same as above. SMB1 is enabled
  • can browse everything, INCLUDING FreeNAS upon login.
  • Windows features are essentially identical to Computer 1 (exception of hypervisor being installed on 1) as per the windows features screen.
Computer 3 (laptop 2)
  • Network browser shows all smb2 nas shares and can access all smb2 shares upon login. SMB1 is not enabled so this is expected.
Notes:
  • If you set Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP that computer can no longer see FreeNAS and several other nas boxes.
  • Enable LMHOSTS lookup is NOT checked for each network adapter
So the issues are:
  • Computer 1 cant access any shares on FreeNAS
  • FreeNAS NetBIOS Alias doesn’t work as expected; when double clicked on, that name fails for any of the computers
Any ideas?

mark