SOLVED Problem connecting SAS backplane to X10SL7-F

Harsesis

Explorer
Hi,

I just bought a new rack case to give my FreeNAS setup a new home. The case I got is a IPC 4U-4420 from Inter-Tech (click here for details). The case has 5 backplanes with SFF-8087 connectors. My problem now is connecting my Supermicro X10SL7-F SATA ports to these backplanes.

In addition to the SATA ports I use an additional LSI controller with SFF-8087 connectors which work just fine with the backplanes (so they should be fine). I ordered some (got only one up to now) SFF8087 cross-over cables for connecting the SATA ports to the backplanes (Just to be safe I ordered the ones from Inter-Tech click here for details). If I understand all the SATA / SAS stuff correctly this should be the correct cable, but no drive get recognized when using it.

An additional question: the cross over cable has an additional 8 pin connector which seems to match the SGPIO pins on the supermicro board. I did not connect them as I was not sure about the correct oriantion and the pinout. If I understand everything correctly the cable should work without this sideband cable?

Have I got something wrong? The only thing I could think of is wrong in the setup is a wrong type of cable or a faulty one, do I oversee something?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Seems like that'd be the right cable to me. Make sure the cable is fully and properly seated. The SFF-8087 connector is a little finicky and even here where we use them on a regular basis, sometimes one gets inserted "funny" because it is buried deep in a machine and it's hard to see.

Harsesis

Explorer
Thanks for the hint, I will try that tomorrow! At least I got a "click" out of it and replugged it a few times so it is hard to believe but I will take additional care on that! I also hope my other cables arrive soon so I can check if this one is just faulty...

Do you have any knowledge bout the sideband connection? In another thread I've read that this is not working properly using FreeNAS (without fiddling arround) anyway.. so just forget about it?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Sideband stuff is ... somewhat esoteric.
That's certainly one way of putting it.

Some people have had luck using sas2ircu to get basic functionality like drive bay failure LEDs working (for certain values of working).

Official, proper support is mostly reserved for OEM-integrated systems, since the sideband stuff, while not existing in a complete standardization vacuum, certainly has very low standardization pressure on the software side. (Feel free to complain about the weird analogy :D)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You're most likely to get a workable configuration if you buy stuff that was designed to work together. Kind of a pain.

obStory: The best use I ever found for failure LED's. Back in the early days of SATA, we were an early adopter and were reselling AIC's 24-drive in 4U chassis. Hooking them up to a 3Ware 9550, there was a blue power light on each drive, along with a combined blue activity light/red failure light, but the 3Ware was only able to drive an activity light. We hated the blue LED's because they were hard to see since they were right under the sled's power light. We switched them to red but that was also unpleasant. So I struck upon the idea of driving both. Purple activity LED's! Cool.

Harsesis

Explorer
Hi, thank you for the feedback! I think I will just go without the sideband stuff than.... :D.

I tried to reseat the plug again but without any success... Additionally I tried more combination of backplanes / sata ports but without success as well. I'm still waiting for my other two cables and hope they arrive soon...

Could it be that the cable is to long (its 1m)?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If you're connecting to SATA drives, maximum cable length is 1m, including backplanes and stuff.

Harsesis

Explorer
So that could already be the problem? Maybe I will try to get some shorter ones and try that!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yeah, since you don't have a SAS expander there, you're definitely going to want shorter cables, but I'd expect it to at least work sorta. Hmm.

sfbayzfs

Dabbler
I have had similar problems trying to go from an lsi 9212-4i4e card to a supermicro sas1 expander backplane with 3 different models of reverse breakout cables from 0.5M to 1M. The sas1 backplane works perfectly from any card with a sff-8087 on it which doesn't need the reverse cable. I haven't tried the card yet with a sas2 expander backplane or an A backplane yet, but plan to. I will also test from an x10-sl7 board with and without the sideband connectors attached. The 9212-4i4e seems to have an area for the sideband connector, but it looks like there are no solder pads to add the connector to. Anyway, I will report back when I have done more tests, but it might be a while.

Harsesis

Explorer
That sounds like bad news :(. I'm still waiting for my two other cables. Additionally I ordered some shorter ones, which should arrive tomorrow. If they don't work that would be really bad news for me as I could only use 2 of my 5 backplanes :(.

Harsesis

Explorer
Finally some good news from my side! I just got some new cables (had some problems with the vendor), but the new ones are working all fine! I have now 3 one meter cables running (with SATA drives). That are the exact same models like the first one i tried so I really guess I got a faulty one!

If you are looking forward buying these cables: be carefull with the length! There are two different types of cables, a 1m and a 0.65m version. Both have the SAME product id! Even in a good and trusty online store (Jacob Computer) they got it wrong (should be 0.65 but got 1m). For alle guys also beeing interesting in the easthetics: The 1m version has red cables with a nice black mash sleeve, while the 0.65m version consists of blue'ish cables in a similar sleeve. :D

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Pretty sure that some manufacturers use whatever color they happen to have in stock today. :smile:

Harsesis

Explorer
That could be true :D

sfbayzfs

Dabbler
Update - I tested my 9212-4i4e cards with a Supermicro branded reverse cable with sideband to a sas2 expander and that didn't work either. However, I noticed that I had flashed the card to 9211-8i - I will reflash it with the correct 9212-4i4e firmware and test again with all 3 cables, and later I will test an X10-SL7 board with all 3 reverse cables as well.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I would think the 9211-8i and 9212-4i4e firmware would be basically the same. Hm.

sfbayzfs

Dabbler
Success! I reflashed the 9212-4i4e card with correct 9212-4i4e firmware instead of 9211-8i firmware, and now it is happy to connect with any of my reverse cables to the SAS2 expander backplane, I will verify the sas1 expander backplane as well when I get some more time.

Yes, all of the cards based on the SAS2008 chip have roughly the same firmware in IT mode, but there are slight differences. Apparently the 9212-4i4e card needs it's own firmware to be reverse-able into a backplane.

Back to the X10SL7, what firmware do you have flashed on the integrated LSI SAS2308 card? Supermicro provided, or LSI generic, and did you update it?

I have my X10SL7 flashed with generic LSI 9211-8i firmware right now, and will test it with the same cables which worked for the 9212-4i4e when I get a chance.

I do really like my Asrock Rack E3C224D4I-14S since it has SFF-8087 connectors for the integrated SAS2308 card, and is an even smaller board.

Harsesis

Explorer
Currently I'm still using the older P16 IT firmware straight from Supermicro. I've planned to update to the P20 IT firmware from Supermicro this or next week.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yes, all of the cards based on the SAS2008 chip have roughly the same firmware in IT mode, but there are slight differences. Apparently the 9212-4i4e card needs it's own firmware to be reverse-able into a backplane.

Learn something new every day.