Problem booting after BIOS update on a X10SL7-F Motherboard from IPMI

Kent Larsson

Dabbler
I am building my first FreeNas using the following hardware (Supermicro X10SL7-F, Intel Xeon E3-1230v3, M391B1G73QH0-YK0, Fractal Design R6)
Assembling and smoke tests went fine, so I connected with IPMI and update the firmware with no problem.
Next step was to update the BIOS, I acquired a Code for the SuperMicro IPMI to update BIOS, downloaded the latest BIOS (x10sl78.609) and updated in IPMI.
After the update the machine don't boot any more and I can not connect with IPMI any more.
What i can see the computer tries to boot every 2 seconds but stays in that state forever.
What I tried to far is to unplug power, network and remove the CMOS battery and let it rest for 1 hour but the problem is still there.
I have not flashed the LSI to IT-mode yet.
I did a search and checked the resources for the X10 motherboards in this forum but couldn't find anything about it.
Any one run in to this problem before or have any possible solution.

Apollo

Wizard
Not sure about the issue but there are a few thing you should know:

1) there is no code required in order to update the BIOS using IPMI. I think Supermicro is trying to get get is update process monetized if you follow one of their instructions.
2) No need to wait more than a few seconds for the CMOS to clear after you have removed the battery. Usually have the power diconnected and try to turn on the system. It will drain the capacitor from their charge and the CMOS will clear.

The reason IPMI may not be reachable, is maybe due to fact that IPMI used to be assigned one of the LAN port but resetting the BIOS caused it to default to only one of the 3.

If you can plug all of them to your router and use IPMI to search for the device you might have it listed at a different address.

It is possible the system is waiting for your to enter the code in order to make the system workable again.

Kent Larsson

Dabbler
IPMI said it wanted a node product key activation so i got one, I was thinking it was the most secure way doing it.

The problem is that after the update the server don't start at all, fan not spinning up so i presume the BIOS update failed somehow.

Kent Larsson

Dabbler
This is solved, it was just me being an idiot again. I didn't realized i could access IPMI when the server was powered down. After connecting I could use IPMI to update the MB BIOS