Port and Pkg mix-and-match

adrianwi

Guru
I'm sure I've read in previous posts, or possibly even on other sites, that FreeBSD jails should only use one tool for installing software.

Use
Code:
make clean install
or
Code:
pkg install
but don't use both in the same jail.

Is this sound advice, or is it OK to create a service using a pkg install, but then update individual components using make clean install?

What are the consequences of a mix-and-match approach? Given some my jails are now EOL and I'm having problems updating them, this seems to be the only solution but I don't want to screw them up longer-term

Thanks

D

dlavigne

It doesn't make a difference as a pkg is simply a pre-buit port. If you don't need to customize a port's build options, you save time by installing the pkg instead.

fracai

Guru
When I first started using jails I ended up with a mix of packages and ports. This was fine for a while until I hit a port that required a newer version than was provided by a package I already had installed. I think I ran in to a bit of trouble where that dependency impacted other packages that I had installed and I ended up having to re-install a lot of packages as ports.

It's definitely easier to just stick with one system.