crisman

Explorer
My NAS system:
Build FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE x64
Platform AMD E-450 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
Memory 7774MB
5 Hard disk: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB (ST31000524AS) RAID-Z
Boot: SATA DOM KINGSpec 4 Gb

I'm using CIFS Share on a Gigabit LAN between Freenas and my Workstation Win7: Results:

- Copying a 30 Gb file to Freenas I get around 45 Mb/s (Freenas writing)
- Reading a 30 Gb file from Freenas I get aroudn 18 Mb/s (Freenas reading)

Later I enabled the Autotune feature but R/W values are the same, check the following charts:

CPU_LOAD.jpg LAN_USED.png Memory.jpg

Could someone help me on getting better R/W performance over CIFS?

Regards,
Cristiano

Stephens

Patron
What do you have in CIFS auxillary parms? I'm using the E-350 and I can beat those speeds. I have
Code:
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=131072 SO_SNDBUF=131072

Also, you need to look into trying jperf on Windows and iperf on FreeNAS (it's included) and test your network speed. There are already other threads here about CIFS performance testing and tuning.

crisman

Explorer
Hi Stephens,

I have no params, its all by default, should I try with yours?

I was reading other threads but didn't found very usefull info, I've no experience in xxBSD/Unix so I was affraid to make some mistakes!!

Regards.

crisman

Explorer
Stephens I've already tested with your aux params and haven't found any good performance with them, can you confirm in the attached picture if the params are entered correctly?

CIFS.jpg

Regards.

Stephens

Patron
You have to turn off CIFS and then turn it back on after you change options.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Here's my "default" settings I use for all FreeNAS servers I build and they've all hit at least 100MB/sec:

socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=2097152 SO_SNDBUF=2097152 IPTOS_THROUGHPUT
read raw = yes
write raw = yes
max xmit = 262144
getwd cache = yes
write cache size = 262144

Some of the above settings are now the defaults for Samba. I leave them in just because I don't feel like spending the time to remove them. They don't hurt anything if they are the default.
Additionally, I enable LargeRW and EA Support.

mattlach

Patron
Are you using the on board storage controller?

Personally I never had much luck with my E-350.

The CPU wasn't quite up to the task of keeping up with stuff, and the Hudson M1 platform was lacking. PCIe speeds were always disappointing and the on board ethernet, and storage controllers never were fast enough for me.

The Ram limit (8GB - GPU use) may also be a limiting factor on FreeNAS which loves all the RAM it can get)

They are neat little systems for sure, but may just not be up to the task of more intensive serving.

I eventually took advantage of MicroCenter's AMD bundle deals and got a AMD FX-8120 (8 cores, 3.1Ghz Base, 3.4Ghz Turbo all cores, 4.0Ghz Max Turbo) and a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard for $229 total, and dropped it into my server, replacing the E-350, and it made a huge difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.