SOLVED Pool size issue

hosh

Dabbler
Hi I've been looking around and I'm at a point where I'm struggling to find a solution. I'm a long time user but a set and forget noob

Server has been running for 5 years approx without issue. Currently on FreeNAS-11.3-U4.1

I need extra storage so I've replaced the 8x 2tb dives with 8x 4tb drives one at a time and resilvered.

Pool is operational, however the size hasn't increased. I found autoexpand was off by default and have now turned on after reading this needs to be on.

All disk replacement and resilvering were done with autoexpand off.

I tried reboot with autoexpand so, however size the same so I'm assuming this had to be on whilst the disk replacement was occurring.

zpool list returns

NAME SIZE ALLOC FREE CKPOINT EXPANDSZ FRAG CAP DEDUP HEALTH ALTROOT
tank 14.5T 11.4T 3.06T - 14.5T 3% 78% 1.00x DEGRADED /mnt

Current degraded as I'm testing to see if I resilver one drive with autoexpand=on the pool will show it's correct size or will I need to offline all drives, replace and resilver one by one again to get the pool to show it's correct size?

I noticed EXPANDSZ reports 14.5T so I'm also assuming the pool is listing that as available storage to expand.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Unfortunately, you'll need to replace and resilver all drives again.

hosh

Dabbler
Thanks Samuel. I had a feeling that would be the case. Lucky I already have one in progress

artlessknave

Wizard
zpool online -e

hosh

Dabbler
I have checked zpool list and after enabling autoexpand, removing and wiping one drive then replacing that drive in the GUI with the same drive it's reporting 29T

Something wrong there, can't be 29T. 8x 4t in Z2 has to be around 20T

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The zpool command shows raw capacity, not net usable capacity.