SOLVED Pool locked without reason, unable to unlock.

Octopuss

Patron
I was doing some maintenance on the server FreeNAS resides on, restarted all of the VMs and whatnot, and when I booted the seedbox VM again, I noticed all torrents were "missing files".
It turned out the pool locked itself without any reason (can anyone think about any?), and what's the worst - I can't unlock it.
I tried all of the passwords I normally use, and there are geli.key and geli_recovery.key files in my documents, but those didn't work either.

What's going on? What should I do??!

1558355485892.png

Last edited:

Octopuss

Patron
UGH, problem solved.
The LSI HBA somehow got removed from the VM.

I think I aged by some five years in the past ten minutes.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Happy it worked out for you. Sometimes encryption can stab you in the back.

Octopuss

Patron
I'm thinking about getting rid of it. It's just a home server.

Apollo

Wizard
You can just remove the passphrase and you will no longer have to unlock the pool. You will still need to keep track of the keys.

Octopuss

Patron
You can just remove the passphrase and you will no longer have to unlock the pool. You will still need to keep track of the keys.
How would I do that though?
I can't even create a new one, let alone remove the current one (there's no such option in the menu)

Apollo

Wizard
You need to go to the old GUI.
Under "Storage", select your encrypted pool you want to remove the passphrase from.
At the bottom of the web interface, you will see a series of icons that look like keys.

You can find the details on the guide:
https://www.ixsystems.com/documenta...tml#additional-controls-for-encrypted-volumes

The pool must already be unlocked to be able to remove or change the passphrase.
If you pool has a passphrase, you can remove the passphrase by checking the selection box.

Octopuss

Patron
I hope all the features will make it to the new GUI as well.

Apollo

Wizard
Bug ticket has been created about the removal of the passphrase under the new GUI.
Did you manage unlocking and removing the passphrase?

Octopuss

Patron
It's not bothering me that much :)
And thanks.

Octopuss

Patron
So I tried with the old GUI as well, and the encryption is simply impossible to remove, which sucks a LOT.
I clicked on "remove recovery key" and rebooted numerous times in both GUIs with no luck - the pool is always locked after reboot.

edit: Just googled up that it's impossible to remove without recreating the pool. Well that sucks, because I have no extra disk to backup the data to.
Is it possible to create a pool for three disks out of two and add the third later at least?